Core i5 MacBook Pro video problem. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adster, Oct 25, 2010.

1. adster macrumors regular

Hello all! I have a weird problem that I'm hoping to solve. I have the most recent revision of MacBook Pro 15" with a Core i5 processor in it. I use it mostly in a desktop configuration with a 24" Apple Cinema Display.

When I boot the MBP without the cinema display, there are large horizontal lines that appear after boot, and there's nothing I can do. Sometimes they are alternating black and white lines, sometimes different shades of blue. Sometimes shades of red. In all instances, I cannot do anything except force power off the laptop.

When I plug the cinema display back in, it boots fine. When I boot into Safe Mode, it boots fine. Clearing the PRAM doesn't do anything. Does anyone have any idea as to how to fix this? I want to take it into Apple but they're either going to A) replace a part meaning I'd be down for up to 10 days or B) Tell me to reinstall the OS which I can do, but will take quite a wile to complete.

Any ideas? Thanks peeps!

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

3. nelz886 macrumors member

nelz886

Try reseting the SMC: Power off the machine and hold down shift, control, option--and tap the power button once--all at the same time. Now power the machine on.

If that doesn't work it sounds like you have an issue with the video card (duh :D) and you'd have to bring the machine in to Apple so the logic board can be replaced.