Core I5 or Core I7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by police340, Jul 14, 2011.

1. police340 macrumors regular

I will be buying a iMac this weekend. I have put up my 17" 2011 MacbookPro for sale. I am trying to determine which one I should get. Money is not the object although it will make a difference in what I do.

Up until six months ago, I was a die hard WIndows user for 30 years although my first computer was an Apple II+. My processing consists of usual word processing, some documents for business, and about 20,000 photographs. I have Adobe CS5 but am not versed in most of the programs. I was tempted to get the most, Core I7 with 3.4GHz and add RAM to it later. If I get the I5 and add RAM to it later, I could use the savings and maybe put toward an MacAir for the very rare times that I do travel or want something to take with me. As I said my processing requirements are light so wondering which way to go?

I appreciate all the suggestions in this board that I have already read and look forward to new ones.

Thank you,
    Bill

2. electricdreams macrumors member

core 2 duo would still work for most things, i5 would be enough!

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The i5 should be plenty unless you plan on doing a lot of heavy video editing.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Ram is cheap and easy to swap yourself - Apple marks it up big time.

Spend the $ on a better processor, GPU or another computer. Buy the ram when you need it via 3rd party, and feel better when you realize how easy it was to DIY.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

6. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

Core I5 or I7

Hello,

Thanks for the comments already. I did not realize there were two Core I5's . 2.7 or 3.1 . There is a three hundred dollar difference. Any big difference in the two i5's?

Thanks agin,
    Bill

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only difference is the CPU speed. If you will be using it for normal, non-intense uses, save your money and the less expensive one.