Core i5 Vs Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mooty, Apr 19, 2010.

1. mooty macrumors regular

2. Mamdouh Medhat macrumors newbie

Nicely done. I've been waiting for some results like yours on how the i5 compares to the C2D. It seems like most are focused on how the i7 handles, but I personally think that the i5 is as interesting - partly due to the fact that I'm getting an i5 :rolleyes:

It's looking pretty good - glad to see that the wait actually was worth it in terms of performance increase.

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

Thanks for the test. I have some questions though.

How big is the difference in real world applications like.
    - garageband/Logic 9
    - word/pages
    - matlab/mathematica/

Does the new 2010 i5 boot up much faster also?

The 2010 i5 lasts about 5 hours doing normal work on the battery? ( and only 9 hours when you turn everything down and only type in word or pages? )

4. Passenger88 macrumors member

Passenger88

Good post, but you got forgot to add if you have the 5400 or 7200 rpm HD (If it matters I don't know)?
    I assume since you didn't noticed it you have the standard 5400 one? Also what I am wondering if you buy the Hi-res Antiglare or the Hi-res glossy I assume that the benchmarks go down a little bit since the resolution is bigger?

5. mooty thread starter macrumors regular

Hi - The resolution is the same, not Hi Res - and yes I have 5400RPM drive in the new MBP Vs a 200GB 7200RPM in the old MBP

6. DctrJ macrumors member

Thanks! This data is really appreciated. I wonder if a similar, yet, newer MBP C2D (early 2010) would tighten the scores up some? I read on MR that the C2Ds were continually improved on over the years.

7. UKBeast macrumors 6502

In reality, overall performance will not be noticable with new i5 over C2D, you will feel a performance increase only if you are using professional software like photoshop or final cut or some engineering software.

You will only notice the difference when apple releases a new OS, because we are still using snow leapard x and c2d is quite good enough for it.

For most of the tasks you do everyday with safari,email,itunes,movieplayer,iphoto,office etc. , the performance increase will be negligble because they do not require high cpu power.

If you are casual user, there is no point to upgrade to i5 or i7.

I ordered a low end 13inch mac pro with 128gb ssd configured.

SSD is the only upgrade that will dramatically affect your system..

Most of the times, benchmarks, mathematics mislead people. Do not stuck on numbers...

8. Ja-m-ie macrumors newbie

Good tests dude - forum appreciates it.

Tbh, the results are what I expected as it tends to be what Apple does.

Though I still think the 13" model will be best for my Uni needs =]

9. mschaef macrumors newbie

Great result... thanks for posting... some of those numbers are higher than I would have guessed. (Makes me wonder more about what's being tested and if it's likely to have a practical impact.)

10. mooty thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly, it does come down to your own usage ultimately. There is no point in going for a high-spec machine if all you do is browse the web.

You feel the improvements in heavy processor apps, and app switching. iTunes, iPhoto etc work really fast.

11. mooty thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think much has changed here with battery life - I'm seeing 5-6 hours.

12. randomhkkid macrumors member

My Late 2009 Macbook pro 15" gets this in cinebench, 2.66 core 2 duo 4gb RAM 7200rpm Hdd:cool:

Attached Files:

13. articcine macrumors regular

This makes me even more eager to see how the MBP 2011 will be like :rolleyes:

14. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

exactly why I won't buy a mbp till 2011. I want the 13" and paying over a grand for a machine without i5 is ridiculous

15. articcine macrumors regular

Totally agree! Core 2 duo is outdated in 2010/2011, and is not worth the price.