Core i7 2.66 vs C2D 2.66-MPEG Streamclip Comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac.Gruber, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Mac.Gruber macrumors newbie

Just got in from the Apple store and tried out a 17 inch MBP, core i7 2.66 GHz. I've been doing a speed test on a few different machines to get a "real world" comparison on how they stack up. I encoded a 70 MB Quicktime through MPEG Streamclip on 3 different systems, using the same file and same settings, clocking the length of time it took to encode.

Here are the results:

15" MBP, C2D 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM-2:41
    17" MBP, Core i7 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM-1:30
    Mac Pro, 3.2 GHz Harpertown Octo, 6 GB RAM-1:21

So, the limited experience that I had on the new MBP was pretty good. A much better experience than the wait for some dude to finish surfing the internet so I could get on the machine to begin with. :mad: Seriously, what is it with that place? People were on the computers checking Facebook. What's logging onto Facebook going to tell you about how well a $2500 computer will run? My beater home PC surfs Facebook and does all other interwebbing just fine. But, here's how it stacks up in the encode test:

Cicero PC, Pentium 4, 2.20 GHz, 1.2 GB RAM (a $500 machine, circa 2003)-28:00 :D

2. breathesrain macrumors regular

Don't forget all the kids taking pictures of themselves with Photo Booth!

When I was there to check out the new MBPs (geekbenched it and converted some song files), some guy decided he would see how heavy the 15" was and pulled out the alarm connector...

3. Mac.Gruber thread starter macrumors newbie

You nailed it; kids taking self portraits.