Core i7 (2016) upgrade to what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by romebot, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:50 AM.

1. romebot macrumors newbie

Hello.
    Been having trouble with lightroom using pretty big RAW files and looking to upgrade, want to keep mobile so looking at the Macbook Pros. Seems from reviews that the i9s are not the best value at the moment and that the i7s with the better graphic cards seem to be very close in performance. That said, I would like to upgrade to the best possible situation so that I dont have to upgrade again too son. I would spend extra for the i9 if it was worth it.

Where I get confused is with all the different models, 4-core, 6-core, Ghz, cards, etc. Some of the reviews dont say if theyre talking about 4 or 6 core.

What would be the best upgrade path, value to performance in 2018/2019?

Best,

R

2. cynics macrumors G4

All the current 2018 15" models are 6 core. So there are two 6 core i7 models and one 6 core i9 model in the 15" models.

There were 4 or different i7's in the 2016 Macbook Pros. Depending on which one your Macbook Pro has will determine the increase in performance.

Luckily for you the 2018 15" i7 base model is faster than the fastest i7 that was offered in 2016 Macbook Pros. The top of the line i7 model should be more than adequate. Add 16gb RAM and storage to support your requirements.

3. romebot thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! I have the 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB. how big of a performance jump would i get (general guess is fine) from what I have to the base and best i7 6-core (w- 32GB ram). Is there a big difference between the two? And is it true then that the i9 isnt worth the $$$.

4. fpenta macrumors member

I’m in the same situation.

I have a MBP 15” 2016 2.9 and I’m not so happy with the performance with Lightroom and PS.
    I mean, it is fast but not as fast for my requirements (raw panos and merged photos, big .psb files in Photoshop, Timelapses in After Effects).

I’m also using the LG Ultra Fine and it slows down a lot when using the monitor.

I’d like to upgrade only if the 6 cores i7, 32GB RAM and the New Vega chip add at least a 40% - 50% boost. But I’m not sure?

5. romebot thread starter macrumors newbie

are the new vega chips what you can buy now or something coming out soon?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Late November,

Personally, I would wait, because in all likelihood this will be a top tier build, and so far many people are having throttling/heat issues with the i9 MBP, add in a more powerful GPU that produces more heat, could be an issue. I would wait and see how it performs and then make a determination.

7. romebot thread starter macrumors newbie

I prob. wouldnt get an i9 as I heard the performance bump wasnt significant, but if an i7 with the better card is a jump, then def. would wait.

also, I have the 2016 i7, my friend is asking if the 2017 i7-core was a significant bump in performance, because she cant afford a new 6-core. how much of a jump is it from the the 2016 4-core to the 2017 4-core to the 2018 6-core (there is no 2018 4-core right?). Is buying a 4-core these days a bad investment? (assuming there is a 4-core significantly better then the 2016 I have)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't be all that surprised to see that the Vega GPU being only offered on the i9. I will say that all of this is speculation, and we'll find out soon enough :)