Core i7 Hackintosh?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by StrokeMidnight, Jul 16, 2009.

1. StrokeMidnight macrumors member

Hey,

Does anyone know any Core i7 setup that is known to work with Leopard? I want to dual boot Windows and Leopard, because I can't afford a Mac Pro, but really don't want to leave the Mac world.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Get an nVidia chipset that takes a Core i7. Try installing right in there. I found an article about something similar. Can't find the site, but here's the .pages.

Attached Files:

3. StrokeMidnight thread starter macrumors member

Apparently it requires iWork to open. Sadly I don't have that :(.

What do you mean install it on the nVidia chipset?

I was planning to buy so far:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 920 Processor

I'm still researching what graphics card work and what RAM (don't think RAM will be a problem).

To anyone else who might be wondering the same thing here's an article I found:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

It's an installation guide for an OS X retail copy on a PC.

Now if someone could tell me what that guide is talking about I'd greatly appreciate it XD.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I mean get an nVidia motherboard.

I'll see if I can track down the article.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Shake 'n' Bake can you export stuff to RTF in the future? Not everyone is on OS X or has iWork.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Ahhh! Stalker! :eek: ;)

Really, though you're right. I've been using web archives lately.

I've copied the stuff from Pages to TextEdit and saved it as RTFD.

Attached Files:

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

RTFD is another OS X format too. :eek:

You'll be able to few the RTF text and embedded graphics but they'll be separate files.

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Darn! I thought I got this one right. The text is still there, and there's only one image and it's not important.

As long as the structure of the text is intact, it should be fine.

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Here's an install Guide for i7

You can do a google search on "Hackintosh core i7 install" and find a bunch of articles on it. The i7 has been a little quirky, but I think that 10.5.7 added native support to the x58 chipset (for the 2009 Mac Pro's).

You should really go spend some time on insanelymac forums or infinitemac forums and get an idea of what your getting into.

I converted my Vista machine (Asus p5q deluxe, q9550, gtx260) into a Hackintosh just to see if I could do it. It was a lot of research, trial and error, but I have a very stable platform that allows full software updates without issue. The Hackintosh community has gotten very good at being able to get things working without modifying Apple's stuff.

You should go get a second hard drive and just use that to avoid killing your primary disk.

I actually have 4 disks now, Vista 64 bit, Leopard 10.5.7, Snow Leopard 32 bit and another for 64 bit SL. A bit of overkill, but you would be surprised how many times I've wiped out the installations and started over.

Also... When you search, you'll find 27 different ways to do something. Do some research, find the newer articles and try and use methods that don't step on the same kext's (kext names) that Apple uses. You need to research your particular setup, Motherboard (built in audio), Video and Ethernet chipset.

The easiest way is to find someone who was successful with minimal effort and duplicate that setup. Be aware that many have multiple video cards, etc., but that's more because just a few months ago, the community was still trying to get the modern video cards working and would just duplicate what Apple already supports to get it working. You will find that the latest NVidia and ATI cards are supported now.

Good Luck!

10. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Myself I am going for the GA-EX58-UD4P with an EFI-X system (is on there HCL list) as I have done hackintosh before and am going to let someone else do the work for me. Other users on there have the UD5 working so is a good choice.

You should be able to get 8800GT's and GTX285 working, as these are available for Mac Pro's. You may also find that the 9800GT/GTX/GTX+ works as well.

Users on the EFI-X forums also have GTX260/275 working as well as the GTX280/285's as essentially the same card.

ATI 4870's work as well as they are also available for Mac Pro's.

11. doox00 macrumors regular

I have a core i7 system (one I am on now) with asus P6T Deluxe MB and gtx 260's in sli.. I wanted to try to get osx running on it as well. Currently my hackintosh is a c2d 6750 cpu on gigabyte P35 board which runs nicely but would rather have this core i7 machine.

I will have to do more research on how well/easy it is to get osx loaded onto this P6T mb and if 260's are supported, especially in sli.

12. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

OS X doesn't support SLi. It would be great if SL did. Imagine the amazingness of that.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

There are no NVIDIA chipset-based motherboards that support Core i7. Intel and NVIDIA are in a legal battle over that right now. You'll have to use an Intel chipset board.