Core i7 in Upcoming MBP's??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Winter Charm, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the Mobile version of the Core i7 coming out in the Macbook Pro refresh that (hopefully) will be in Q4 of 2009.

1. Do you think we will get the new 32nm Mobile version of the Core i7's in All macs (apparently X-serve update for this summer and the mac pro's already have the 45nm chips??)

2. What do you think about the performance boost. As intel is saying, the Core i7 will be able to run 4 threads on a dual core chip -- (and im guessing apple will give us the dual core in our MBP's) -- i know most applications currently support dual threads, but with Snow Leopard on teh Horizon, who knows?? -- plus, a lot of people multitask... so yeah.

3. Snow Leopard... do you think it will be in the new refresh?

Thanks!!! just something i was wondering about (i'm set on buying a new macbook pro for christmas 2009 :D )

2. ZunePod macrumors regular

It'd make sense if they, did. But it's Apple so...

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please research naming conventions. Core i7 is impossible in laptops.

The next processor will be Arrandale. It's the laptop Westmere version, skipping Nehalem entirely.

Clarksfield seems to be too hot.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You not holding out for a surprise announcement from Intel Tallest Skil? ;)

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its not that he doesn't want it, its that its physically impossible, the i7 is a desktop processor, DESKTOP.

6. B-ret macrumors newbie

Tallest Skil, why is it that you're always the first person to pass a judgement or make a comment about the most insignificant crap? Minutia and the negligible errors that we as readers can easily identify for ourselves is your domain! Who cares man? You don't need to try so hard to make people think you're smart.

7. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

SEriously???

I think we can assume that i Do know enough about computers to realize that Apple does use mobile processors in all its products except the mac pros (sever processors). so um? could we get on with ANSWERING MY DANG QUESTION?? seriously... i thought this forum had a good reputation.. :(

8. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Q: Will Apple use Core i7 in upcomming MBP's?
    A: No

I suggest you go and look for all the threads on Arrandale that are already floating around.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because it isn't insignificant. I like how you joined just to say that, too.

People who have no idea what processor names have to do with anything care. Perhaps we have people reading the forum who don't know the difference between Bloomfield, Bloomfield Xeon, Gainestown, Clarksfield, and Arrandale.

It's high time they were taught. I'm not going to be one who propagates lies.

10. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

1. Apple will upgrade the mobile processors when the new architecture is released. However, it will not be Core i7. It will be Core i5. As far as I'm concerned, there will be Clarksfield (Nehalem architecture), a quad-core 45nm processor, and Arrendale (Westmere architecture), a dual-core 32nm processor. Clarksfield will probably be released on Q3/Q4 2009 and it may be on MacBook Pros until the end of the year. Arrendale is scheduled to be released Q4 2009 and it may be in MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

2. There will be some sort of performance boost. However, I haven't seen the processor so far, so it's difficult to tell. I liked my P4 with HyperThread technology, I think it was great.

3. Yes, I think so. Snow Leopard will be released in 2-5 months. Apple should upgrade its laptop line at this time.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The next Macbook Pro (unless updated some time this summer) will get the successor to Nehalem, called Westmere. Westmere is a 32nm shrink of Nehalem (which is 45nm).

This will happen in Q4 2009 or Q1 2010.

And there will probably be a quick speed bump (Core 2 Duo) or RAM increase for the Macbook and Pro and Air during the summer just to tide us over until Q4 or Q1 2010, the latter looking more realistic.

12. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Clarksfield (mobile Nehalem) will be out this year. However it only comes in quad-core and will be too hot and require too much power for most notebooks, especially the Apple Macbook Pro.

Arrendale (mobile 32nm Nehalem) will either be out in Q4 this year or early 2010. It uses the same architecture as Nehalem but it's based on a smaller manufacturing process and comes in both dual-core and quad-core. Apple will most likely be adopting these months after they come out.

13. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I just put a i7 in my macbook pro...works like a charm!

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'll bet you did. :D;)

15. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I wish I did

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

i recently attached my macbook pro to a north korean rocket and i bet its going faster than yours now with your crappy i7!! ;)

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I... Have some bad news :D

Your MBP is sleeping with the fishes.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

To be fair to the OP, if he/she did any "research" via the Web there were many sources publishing headlines such as "Next-gen MacBook/Pros on 32nm Core i7" about two months ago, including at least one @ MacRumors:

Core i7 (Nehalem) Based MacBook Pros Possible in Q4 2009?

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just curious did you receive your 2.93ghz octad mac pro yet??

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Huh, I thought people would have forgotten... :p

Yes, I did. It's been sitting at home since Thursday. I, however, am not sitting at home, but am on campus. It's annoying. I will be returning home over Easter to be united with my Mac Pro, at which time I will port my files and install my extra GT 120, BD-RE DL/HD DVD-ROM drive, and Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm psyched.

21. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Im not sure i want to upgrade to Arrandale when its released anyway, something wierd ive noticed is that my 17" Unibody is the sluggyest Mac i've ever owned, yes i know it benchmarks higher than any other portable Apple machine, but just going around OS X feels sluggish, and not as snappy as on my Macbook Air or Mac Mini, its really strange, lots of other people have noted this as well.

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The lowest-end Clarksfield may have a 10 W lower TDP, which most likely makes it suitable for the MacBook Pro. I don't think Apple will use it though.

I've only heard dual-core for Arrandale. :confused:

Can you also try a G5? :D

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It will be quad core but they always release that 6 months later to make more money.

24. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

25. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Okay... so after reading up on Arrendale.... i have noticed that it will feature on die integrated graphics.... will this possibly mean that Apple will drop the 9400m's from their Macbooks??? and what of the Macbook Pro's Power-saving feature with the 9400m. I like the 9400m because it saves power while still being beastly enough to do some HD video editing. (i do quite a bit of that)

Also, do you think 8GB of RAM will be in the next update?