Core i7 v. Quad Core Nehalem & ffmpeg

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sburke, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Sburke macrumors newbie

Sburke

Ok folks. I work at a small company that handles audio and video discovery for criminal cases. About once every two weeks, I get 250-300 GB of uncompressed AVIs that need to be transcoded into the major formats (wmv, ogv, m4v, to be precise). I am currently doing this on my Core 2 Duo unibody Macbook (early 2008). I use ffmpeg along with a few home-brewed scripts to handle the load. I do not use FCP, or Quicktime for this task. With my current setup, this process will last 4-6 days, depending upon the complexity of the video and the quantity of material.

I'd like to get a dedicated machine and my budget has limited me to either the highest-end iMac (quad core i7) or the lowest end Mac Pro (quad core Nehalem, at about $300 more). Here's my question: is the i7 good enough? Will there be a noticeable difference between my current setup and either of the potential machines?

The substantive difference, a monitor, is not necessary for my current setup but it might help a little.

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Get the iMac, the Sandy Bridge CPU in the new line up is a newer generation then the Nehalems in the Pros, the iMac will be a faster machine.

3. CRUDE SKINNY B macrumors newbie

if you can wait, wait for the new mac pros, hopefully sooon

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Right now the iMac is the better option. As you are used to using your macbook this will blow away the speeds that you are used to. And until there is a Mac Pro update it is the faster option.