core i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSkillets, Mar 11, 2013.

1. iSkillets macrumors newbie

I want to install a core i7 processor on my mbp. where do i go to buy the cpu? is this even possible to do? thanks for the help everyone!

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's not possible to upgrade the CPU on a laptop.

3. iSkillets thread starter macrumors newbie

well didnt know that... im new to this.... thanks man.. i should have just spent the other 200 bucks for the core i7..

huh.. what can i do to help the speed a little more?

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Adding RAM will probably have the most noticeable impact, assuming you actually need it.

5. iSkillets thread starter macrumors newbie

i probably don't. i was just reading about other people making theirs faster and i was thinking, "huh, y not?".

thanks man

6. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Intall an SSD and your computer will feel like there is an i7 in it. An ssd breathes new life into almost any computer.

I can GUARANTEE you that what is making your MBP seem slow is the HD, the moment you put an ssd in there you will notice the difference.

What are you finding slow right now?

7. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

yeah... first thing that comes to mind

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

Why is your MBP slow? Is it because you read on the internet someone saying their laptop was fast, so now yours must be slow? What are you using your laptop for specifically? An i7 quad core with 32 GB of ram and an SSD is not going to make surfing the internet and sending email any faster, other than maybe opening Safari a touch quicker (all SSD) and allowing you to have 350 tabs in Safari open (all ram).

9. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Not always true.

SSD will give the biggest performance improvement across the board, RAM will certainly help.

In my experience, 4 to 8 GB = huge improvement, 8-16 GB is still a fairly decent improvement as everything ends up getting cached. Not as dramatic as the step from 4-8, but still worth it, even with fairly "mild" desktop use (mail/browser/iphoto with big library). If you start running heavy apps the difference is much more apparent.

Given the cost of RAM at the moment, if you're going to upgrade you'd be silly (IMHO) not to spend the little bit more getting 16 GB instead of 8, unless you're really tight for cash, so long as your machine supports it.

11. leman macrumors 604

Most Mac laptops (maybe even all of them?) have the CPUs soldered-on; a replacement will be very tricky.