Mac Core Location Help

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Hello,
I am trying to make a test app to get the latitude of my current location, but I can't get it to work
Here is my code:
Code:
-(void)awakeFromNib{

if ([CLLocationManager locationServicesEnabled] == TRUE) {
        NSLog(@"Location Services are online");
    } else {
        NSLog(@"Location services are disabled");
    }

CLLocationManager *locationManager = [[CLLocationManager alloc] init];
    [locationManager startUpdatingLocation];
    CLLocation *location = [locationManager location];
    NSString *lattitude = [[NSString alloc]initWithFormat:@"%g",location.coordinate.latitude];
    [lattitudeLabel setStringValue:lattitude];
    [locationManager stopUpdatingLocation];
}
The lattitudeLabel is an IBOutlet. I don't get any errors or warnings, the problem is my lattitueLabel's value is 0 and I am pretty sure my lattitude isn't 0. (I live in the US :))
I get the NSAlert asking me to turn on location services and I do, but my label's value doesn't change after I click yes.
Thanks!

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
You probably need to use the delegate and implement locationManager:didUpdateToLocation:fromLocation:

Edit: like this
Code:
- ([color=#aa0d91]void[/color])awakeFromNib
{
    [color=#3f6e74]locationManager[/color] = [[[color=#5c2699]CLLocationManager[/color] [color=#2e0d6e]alloc[/color]] [color=#2e0d6e]init[/color]];
    [color=#3f6e74]locationManager[/color].[color=#5c2699]delegate[/color] = [color=#aa0d91]self[/color];
    [[color=#3f6e74]locationManager[/color] [color=#2e0d6e]startUpdatingLocation[/color]];
}

- ([color=#aa0d91]void[/color])locationManager:([color=#5c2699]CLLocationManager[/color] *)manager didUpdateToLocation:([color=#5c2699]CLLocation[/color] *)newLocation fromLocation:([color=#5c2699]CLLocation[/color] *)oldLocation
{
    [[color=#3f6e74]lattitudeLabel[/color] [color=#2e0d6e]setStringValue[/color]:[[color=#5c2699]NSString[/color] [color=#2e0d6e]stringWithFormat[/color]:[color=#c41a16]@"%g"[/color], newLocation.[color=#5c2699]coordinate[/color].latitude]];
    [[color=#3f6e74]locationManager[/color] [color=#2e0d6e]stopUpdatingLocation[/color]];
}

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.