Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Fanless Broadwell Core M 5Y10 in the Helix2 is about 30% slower but still plenty fast and consistent under load compared to Haswell i5-4300U that can throttle even with active cooling. Very ideal for a thin profile device like Macbook Air.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Fanless Broadwell Core M 5Y10 in the Helix2 is about 30% slower but still plenty fast and consistent under load compared to Haswell i5-4300U that can throttle even with active cooling. Very ideal for a thin profile device like Macbook Air.

Where are you getting that number from?

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
They have cinebench 11.5 which is one of the longer benchmarks. Yoga 3 pro with a fan was bios/thermal throttled already during the benchmark which yielded only 2.09 pts while reference tablet without a fan didn't even throttle and gave 2.65 points. Macbook air i5 4250u gave 2.5 points on the benchmark.

Based on your post I found this page:

http://ultrabooknews.com/2014/09/14/intel-core-m-overview-benchmarks-and-product-previews/

Impressive results although I will point out that the Surface Pro 3 also scores well on this test but it's well-known that the SP3 suffers from major thermal throttling under sustained loads. So I don't know how long it takes to run Cinebench but apparently it's not long enough to measure sustained performance.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Based on your post I found this page:

http://ultrabooknews.com/2014/09/14/intel-core-m-overview-benchmarks-and-product-previews/

Impressive results although I will point out that the Surface Pro 3 also scores well on this test but it's well-known that the SP3 suffers from major thermal throttling under sustained loads. So I don't know how long it takes to run Cinebench but apparently it's not long enough to measure sustained performance.

Look at Yoga 2 Pro. It definitely throttled very early as i7 4500U (3 GHz Turbo) should be slightly faster than SP3's i5 4300U (2.9 GHz Turbo). This is the sole reason I don't trust any benchmarks from Lenovo. I don't know their reasons for early BIOS throttle/thermal throttle or it's just that their cooling system design is far worse than any manufacturer.

Now, if Apple has some impressive passive cooling design with the Core M, it shouldn't throttle very aggressively on long, extended CPU load. Well, the biggest bottleneck I'd guess is the thermal paste that Apple uses with their Macs. If apple can design a super slim fan for the rMBA, that would be perfect as well.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Now, if Apple has some impressive passive cooling design with the Core M, it shouldn't throttle very aggressively on long, extended CPU load. Well, the biggest bottleneck I'd guess is the thermal paste that Apple uses with their Macs. If apple can design a super slim fan for the rMBA, that would be perfect as well.

Thermal paste is more or less irrelevant, like buying super high quality speaker wire for a home stereo system.

And I don't see a lot of opportunity for innovation in terms of passive cooling solutions. A heatsink is a heatsink. You can use copper, which is more expensive and heavier than aluminum, and that's good, but only gets you so far in terms of passive cooling. The hot air has to escape the system somehow, not just get shuttled around.

If the Surface Pro 3 throttles under sustained load and it has active cooling, I don't know how a Core M is supposed to keep up with passive cooling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.