Core M Review: HP EliteBook Folio 1020

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matt2053, Apr 7, 2015.

1. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/hp-elitebook-folio-1020-review/

The HP Elitebook is a fanless notebook with a 1.2GHz Core M-5Y71 CPU with HD 5300 graphics just like the MacBook. It also has a very comparable 2560 x 1440 hi-res display. So I would expect performance to be quite similar (or slightly worse) than performance on the new Macbook.

(Note: the Elitebook is also thicker, wider, 30% heavier, and seems to have much worse battery life than what Apple claims for the Macbook. And the review unit was specced out at $1500 for the 1.2 gHz CPU-- the same upgrade on the Macbook also gets you 512 GB storage instead of 256 on the Elitebook, for just $99 more. Seems like the Macbook is very much the better deal, assuming you don't care about the ports.)

Here is the relevant portion of the review about performance:

This is good news for us :)

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Nice find! Good read and the results are close to what I'm expecting from this machine.

Again, too many people look at specs and assume too much. Look at the specs of the iPhone 6 and the last Samsung Galaxy. The Galaxy's specs are x2 better, yet the iPhone 6 runs just as smooth (if not smoother). This goes back to the fact that hardware is not the bottom line. How software uses the hardware is the bottom line.

3. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

We have a variant of this lineup at my work - the EliteBook 1040 - and jesus christ are they awful computers. They are about a year old or so, though.

The track pad is dreadful and the quality control is atrocious. The numbers we have had come in with faulty screens, non-responsive trackpads, etc., are quite high.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

Congratulations, you totally missed the point of the thread!

5. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

I disagree that you undermine Apple's CPU. Galaxy's specs are crap compared to Apple since Qualcomm ARM and Samsung ARM are slower than A8 and A8X in raw CPU Performance per Core. Even with 5 GHz clocked Krait, its core performance will still be outmatched by Apple's A CPU. Coupled with slow and poorly coded Lagdroid, the experience becomes horrible. Single and Dual core performance plus very clever programming (e.g. iOS has a dedicated realtime priority thread for UI while Lagdroid takes the UI thread as normal priority so CPU does everything in parallel not sequentially) is what matters for smooth, and very fast operation.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Best go play with your iToy`s then. The latest Android phones compatible to the iPhone 6 run perfectly well without lag, if you want to be an IOS zealot there`s forums here for that. Both Android and IOS bring positive and negative to the individual user and thankfully so.

BTW you completely missed his/her point, it was noting to do with slating toy`s hardware...

Q-6

7. GaresTaylan, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Don't be a douche. I picked up on it quite well. I am well aware that the purpose of this thread is about the Core M and to hush all the naysayers which state the rMB will be a dreadful little system for the price.

Since the comments above mentioned specifically the weight, performance, battery life, etc, I threw my own comments out there about my experience with the hardware. if you were able to read between the lines you would be able to see that my comments more or less meant that while software typically drives the hardware - the manufacturing process and quality control is still key. Ive never had any issues out of the box with any of my Apple products nor the ones in the enterprise I work for - but the HP's we have deployed have been terrible. While the bottom line may indeed be the software, there is still an element of quality control that needs addressed. Apple generally has that well under control.

Sorry I didn't spell it out well enough for you. Next time Ill bring charts, graphs and an easel so you can troll on someone else.

8. Queen6, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You guy`s are probably on the same page, but don't know it :) When you work in corporate it`s truly shocking how many IT products new out the box are junk and need to be returned, nor was the pertinent post an attack or negative comment. More likely venting frustration at a HP`s poor quality control as when that issue is on your "desk" it`s just another PIA to resolve with the supplier.

Thankfully IT is not my realm, equally I saw how much headache The IT guy`s endured between the uneducated user`s and poor QC by hardware providers all governed by accountants in corporate :) This truly gets under your skin I know I frequently just wanted to grab the corporate "box" and throw it out the window out of sheer frustration.

Thankfully these days I am free and choose my own hardware & OS, and big surprise I very rarely have issue across OS X, Windows, and Android sorry no IOS as a file system is a must for my needs.

Q-6

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Agree to disagree, but I think we are saying the same thing.

All I am stating is Apple tends to use their software to better utilize their hardware. And, because Apple have full control over their software and hardware this result is much easier (this is the only reason Apple products work better). Below are the basic specs for the iPhone 6 and the S5. Overall, the S5 has better specs but (to me and friends of mine who have the S5) the iPhone 6 runs smoother.

iPhone 6
    - A8
    - Dual Core 1400 MHz
    - 1024 MB RAM

Samsung Galaxy
    - Snapdragon 801
    - Quad Core 2500 MHz
    - 2048 MB RAM

There is no "right" or "wrong" here.

----------

That is the issue with most PCs. The hardware is terrible due to the lack of QA from the manufactures. Plus, the software side (Microsoft) do not work with the hardware side (Ace, Dell, Lenovo, Sony, etc) to make a better operating machine.

In this regard Apple will always have the edge because they can create from scratch a device that incorporated software and hardware into one seamlessly.

10. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

^ Agreed with both of you 100%. Thanks for keeping the discussion on topic as well.

11. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Lag is subjective but seeing iOS perform against Lagdroid's hardware (despite having 6 more cores than iPhone), I can safely say Lagdroid lags on even just scrolling on settings menu and Facebook. Loading programs are tied to me but I'm too annoyed in seeing a flagship Lagdroid phone lag. Well, single and dual core performance as well as extremely efficient iOS coding and management are the main reasons for that. Multitasking and UI is much more flexible on Lagdroid (I like the interface just as much as iOS), but speed and fluidity comes 1st to me and no Lagdroid device comes close. However, some people will be claim that rooting the phone will make the UI perform really smooth, but very few Lagdroid users are willing to do that. They just accept the lag.

Anyways, back to Core M performance, I'm pretty sure the rMB will just behave like the 2015 rMBP 13" in UI performance since I agree that this is a software issue and GPU hardware speed aren't that much of a factor due to software bottleneck.