Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sinsinx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
Hi, I locked my current harddrive into CoreStorage, (somehow, I really have no clue. It tried to revert, but failed and now says its unrevertable.) so I figured I would stop messing around and buy my SSD that i've been looking at. I plan on cloning the contents of this HardDrive to put onto the SSD, but I am nervous about the next drive becoming CoreStorage as well, as that is preventing me from being able to dual-boot using rEFInd.

Does anybody know why my current drive went CoreStorage, and how to prevent the next one from the same fate? I'm really annoyed with the entire corestorage implementation and if anybody knows how to completely remove it that would also work.

Thanks guys.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You will be fine with the clone. The Yosemite and El Capitan installer converts the drive to core storage if it is a Mac portable and the CPU supports AES-NI. But a clone will not convert the target drive to core storage.

Sinsinx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
You will be fine with the clone. The Yosemite and El Capitan installer converts the drive to core storage if it is a Mac portable and the CPU supports AES-NI. But a clone will not convert the target drive to core storage.
Sorry to be repetitive, but i'm nervous - this applies even if I am cloning a drive that is currently CoreStorage. Is that correct?

Thanks for the answer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.