Core Storage and a new harddrive..(For Linux)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sinsinx, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Sinsinx macrumors newbie

Hi, I locked my current harddrive into CoreStorage, (somehow, I really have no clue. It tried to revert, but failed and now says its unrevertable.) so I figured I would stop messing around and buy my SSD that i've been looking at. I plan on cloning the contents of this HardDrive to put onto the SSD, but I am nervous about the next drive becoming CoreStorage as well, as that is preventing me from being able to dual-boot using rEFInd.

Does anybody know why my current drive went CoreStorage, and how to prevent the next one from the same fate? I'm really annoyed with the entire corestorage implementation and if anybody knows how to completely remove it that would also work.

Thanks guys.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will be fine with the clone. The Yosemite and El Capitan installer converts the drive to core storage if it is a Mac portable and the CPU supports AES-NI. But a clone will not convert the target drive to core storage.

3. Sinsinx thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to be repetitive, but i'm nervous - this applies even if I am cloning a drive that is currently CoreStorage. Is that correct?

Thanks for the answer!

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct.