Core usage for different programs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by troutweed, Oct 31, 2010.

1. troutweed macrumors member

I’m considering a processor upgrade from 2x 3.0Ghz Dual core to 2x 2.66Ghz Quad core or 2x 3.0Ghz Quad core.

I have a MP1.1 with 12GB RAM, 2x1TB Raid0 Main drive, 2TB TimeMachine. SSD for OS on its way.

Just wondering in which programs I’d see a performance boost, and how many cores are utilised by different programs. Also, would my slower 667 MHz RAM hold up the new processors?

Any advice on whether processor, RAM or HDD speed are most important for each program listed also welcome.

Note on current usage:
    PS files aren’t huge, but I might have 20-30 files open at a time (30-50 MB files each). I use Lightroom for most photographic stuff, and CS2 (at the moment) for retouching/pre-press. I get 55 seconds for the retouchartists test using CS2. I assume CS5 would be faster.

The only time I’m really slowed down in my work by the dreaded blue progress bar is during video rendering (Full HD from a 7D)

Can anyone help?

Lightroom 3

Photoshop CS2
    Photoshop CS5

InDesign CS2
    InDesign CS5

Final Cut Express
    Final Cut Pro
    iMovie HD

MPEG Streamclip

Thanks.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You won't see much difference in any of those. Compressor will be much faster if you use it (converting the 7D footage to ProRes, perhaps?) but the rest of those are already about maxed out on 4 cores. The SSD should be a nice boost though.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Like stated before, outside of perhaps compression (using Apple Compressor in Final Cut Studio), you probably won't see any appreciable difference in performance with the majority of your applications.

I suppose you'd have to ask yourself whether the expense of sourcing faster processors (especially outside of the US) is worth that.

4. troutweed thread starter macrumors member

That's great advice, thanks. You just saved me a grand.

Will spend my money on SSDs for scratch etc. And a comfy chair!:)