core2duo 2.66ghz to core i5 2.4ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aleni, Oct 24, 2010.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

currently my setup is 17" Unibody MBP 1900x1200 res, 128GB SSD Corsair, 8GB OWC ram.

im doing tshirt design and often working a 4500x4500px 300dpi images with photoshop CS5.

im currently planning to ditch this but keep the 128GB SSD and 8GB OWC ram and put it into the 2.4Ghz Core i5.

for the screen, i'm getting the hi-res antiglare for the i5.

can i see significant jump? or better to stick with my current setup until the new macbook pro is released? (hope the new mbp will copy the new macbook air's design and without the optical drive).

thanks..

2. jagger27 macrumors member

You would see some gains. I would really wait for the next update. Good things are coming!

3. DJ-R macrumors regular

I'm sure you can SSD and the RAM would work on the new one.

Speaking of the new MBP without Optical Drive won't be making much a different.

Maybe increase the battery capacity? You can now use OpticBay to install a secondary HDD/SSD into the MacBook Pro if you did not know. You will need to pull the Optical Drive out and install the custom OpticBay chassis for the secondary SSD/HDD. =)

I doubt MacBook Pro can be any thinner unless they are all going to be SSD all the way. No more physical drives. The HDD is currently limited the form factor. 9.5mm height + chassis thickness. mmmhh...

But I'll tell you, it might happens in 2 years. Because SSD are super expensive. MacBook Air only offer up to 256GB SSD at the price up to $2000 with taxes... lol

MacBook Pro has SSD 512GB at $1300 additional costs..

If MacBook Pro are forced to stick with SSD. It's too much for anyone to afford such baby of $3300+ minimum on the lowest option.

I doubt Apple will make such move... Look at the market in US now... Huge job lost. Unemployment which is scary.

4. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

anyway thanks for the quick replies, this forum is sure very helpful.

about the optical drive, i took it off right 1 week after i bought this MBP, because i thought it would make the MBP less heavy, but i didn't notice it much, it's still heavy as a brick.

i think im gonna wait for the next revision and see if there is any design change.

thanks man!

5. DJ-R macrumors regular

Might be heavy from 13" users or super light notebook users (Dell Amado, Sony Z.)

=P

I consider MBP 15" is lighter than most 15" notebook.

From my history, I've been downsizing my notebook.. lol but I get higher resolution.

~9 lbs Notebook 1: 17" 1440x900
    ~7 lbs Notebook 2: 16" 1366x768
    ~5.6 lbs Notebook 3: 15" 1680x1050

Future: ~Anti-Gravity Notebook

Lighter, smaller and higher rez

6. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

im with the 17" unibody, and it's always a pain to bring it to office back home everyday. i think the 15" weight will be much a helper.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I really wouldn't count on a design change anytime soon. They recently unified the "unibody" look throughout their line (excluding the mac pro), and not only would a superlight 17" be considerably more fragile, it would be far more expensive and far less powerful. Wouldn't be a bad idea to wait for the performance boost though.

8. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

i didn't mean about design change, but more like MBA, the screen frame is unibody too so it will make the screen much thinner. but i don't think it's possible to hold a huge 17" glass display with the frame that thin like in the MBA without breaking up.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Ah, I misunderstood. I think you're right that at this point, the screen really can't be that thin, especially on a 17"