Core2Duo vs IvyBridge Question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thleeal, Jun 9, 2012.

1. thleeal macrumors regular

Hi guys,

i'm currently managing with my 2009 13" MBP, 2.26GHZ 5gb ram and 320gb hard drive. She (Mia) is a trooper, but lately it feels like ive been asking too much of her.

my tasks typically involve cs6, photoshop, illustrator, fireworks, indesign, iPhoto (100gb - 18mp images)…
    working with multiple images at once would make life easier, but Mia just grinds to a halt when asked.

How much of an improvement would I see with Ivy Bridge Quad Core, 15" MBP (or whatever the new incarnation is)

I know nothing has been released etc, but I want to know like how much faster it will be, will it be night and day, or will it be only slightly faster.

Thanks for your help guys.

2. simsaladimbamba

It will be more like night and day, but you can always try 8 GBRAM first, which costs less than 40 USD at many places.

Mac Benchmarks by Geekbench

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The difference between your computer and even a Sandy Bridge MBP is quite substantial in the tasks that you mentioned. The difference between a Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge MBP? Not so much.

How much RAM do you currently have? It's always a good starting point if you haven't upgraded it, but a Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge MBP with 16 GB RAM will fly. (make sure you get aftermarket RAM)

4. alphaod, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

SNB is quite a bit faster than C2D, clock for clock and so even at the current solutions you'll see marked improvements, going from a dual core (C2D) to a quad core (SNB); IVB is a die shrink of SNB which also includes a good performance increase (about 15-20%).

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro and a 2011 MacBook Pro; benchmarks say the latter is almost 3x as fast the former. In real life, I would say the difference is twice as fast (though I'm sure it can be 3x faster).

So I think if you go from your current machine to a quad-core IVB MacBook Pro, you'll be looking at performance more than twice as fast at the very least; for some tasks maybe even 3-4x faster.

------

Damn I'm gonna need to start naming my computers… since I already name my other stuff right? :p

5. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

I call my work laptop (a three year old Dell) Kenny.

If I get a new MBP, I think I'll call it Stan...

6. thleeal thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

thanks for your help guys....

love the status about naming your stuff... so true... model names and numbers are so boring.;)

right now I'm torn between a 27" iMac or the 15" MBP.

the decision is pretty much made... have to get the 15" for "work"

I would so call my 27" iMac BIG MAC. :p

7. thleeal thread starter macrumors regular

£1800!

guys... I'm back after a short break...

I can't justify the cost of a retina MBP.... as much as i would love it, and i need a portable...

so here goes... IB Dual core's in the 13inch pro VS Mia...