Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
I have a friend who wants to get a black macbook and asked me for advice. She will use it for iphoto, mail, wordprocessing, itunes etc - mainly basic stuff. She found a closeout blackbook locally for 1300 (with tax) or she could buy one online for 1499 - any advice? Is there any real performance difference between the two? Any other differences? Will the 64bit architecture make a difference in the near future?

I'm inclined to recommend getting the cheaper one, unless there are very real performance differences or something else (like the surface material) has changed....

Thanks

adiosk8

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
this could be answered easily just by reading or searching for this topic...but get the core 2 duo....64 bit support, draft N wireless, fixing of first gen problems, more ram and bigger hard drive standards....and the chip is faster....what more could you ask for on 200 bucks?

chaslam

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
I dont know if the Macbooks have pre-N chipsets do they?

Anyway, I would go for the C2D ones. Firstly they seem to run cooler, then have bigger HDDs and more RAM. Go for C2D.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
the markup for the new blackbook is much less, considering the 64 bit and the HD and RAM upgrades. Plus u get bragging rights, which is priceless.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
this could be answered easily just by reading or searching for this topic...but get the core 2 duo....64 bit support, draft N wireless, fixing of first gen problems, more ram and bigger hard drive standards....and the chip is faster....what more could you ask for on 200 bucks?

I guess I was lazy...

Still, I'm not sure if 64 bit support, draft N wireless means much given that 32 bit OS and software will be around for many more years...more ram and HDD is ofof course always and if she has to buy more ram that will add $100 to the cost, making the difference only around $200....which IS still money that could be spent in other ways. It's easy to start thinking that we really NEED things that we don't need. I mean, after all, up until last year many of us were getting along on our G4 systems that were mucch much less powerful than even the lowest end macbook!

I guess the new motherboard and hopefully no RSS is worth a lot, but then again they seemed to have fixed that with the last bunch of Macbooks anyway.

I think I'll still suggest getting the newer one - thanks everybody for the input.

cheers,

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
No, I recommended amazon as a place to buy since they have good price and even better return policies should need be. the local macbook cost 1200 excluding tax ($1300 with tax) and online the new one is 1499 with no tax and free shipping.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
You can get a Core Duo BlackBook for much less than $1300. The Apple Store online is currently selling them for only $1099. Just go the the Apple Store page, and look for "Refurbished Macs" on the left hand side. Great deal. Most everyone I've talked to has had nothing but good things to say about Mac refurbs. :)

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
You can get a Core Duo BlackBook for much less than $1300. The Apple Store online is currently selling them for only $1099. Just go the the Apple Store page, and look for "Refurbished Macs" on the left hand side. Great deal. Most everyone I've talked to has had nothing but good things to say about Mac refurbs. :)

Second that. If you're going to buy a CoreDuo, don't pay $1300+.. buy online from Apple refurbs for $1099 + tax.. probably end up right around $1200. Best deal you'll find.

cecildk9999

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
East Coast
If you do go for the refurb, I'd recommend popping some extra RAM in there. I think the biggest advantage of the newer models is the RAM boost they get; should keep all of those day-to-day uses moving smoothly. Still, the refurb+RAM will end up as less expensive overall: that's my 2 cents :)

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
IMO to do basic stuff she only needs a core duo macbook. but if she's the nerdy type who won't be happy unless she has the best technology, tell her to get the higher end blackbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.