Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Are we to receive any substanital performance increases seeing as Leopard is, I presume, being programmed specifically for intel machines?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Nothing more than previous releases for the PPC, I assume. Leopard wasn't programmed "specifically" for Intel machines; for one, it will work on PPC machines as well, and two, there have been x86 versions of OS X inside Apple since 10.1, I believe.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Nothing more than previous releases for the PPC, I assume. Leopard wasn't programmed "specifically" for Intel machines; for one, it will work on PPC machines as well, and two, there have been x86 versions of OS X inside Apple since 10.1, I believe.

True, although, OS X still seems to be on the uptick in terms of optimizing the core components... at least, that's been one major explanation why OS X gets faster with new versions while most OSes, or at least Windows OSes, get slower with new versions on the same hardware. The core architecture is new, even if Apple has been developing for Intel for some time, as is the level of prevalence of multiple cores... so there might be more of a boost for Intel than for PPC.

Also a very minor possible boost is that there may be more core resources that work in 64 bits and can take advantage of 64-bit processing in the G5 and C2D lines.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Even though intel versions of OS X existed behind closed doors at Apple, surely they wouldn't have put as much work into optimising them as PPC versions in the wild?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.