CoreDuo running hot in Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nabisco, Sep 12, 2008.

1. nabisco macrumors newbie

Hello,

I had my Macbook CoreDuo 2Ghz 2GB RAM serviced about 6 months ago (for the cracked palmrest problem) at my local Apple store. Anyway after I got it back from the store, the first thing I did straight away was to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard (clean install).

However since then I've noticed that it does run a lot hotter than it used to. In addition, general graphics performance seemed a bit sluggish by comparison - in particular youtube if there are lots of other safari or firefox windows open, and google earth is a flicker fest now that sends the fans going full blast.

I'm about to start a digital media college course that will really put the macbook through its paces and I want performance to be as good as it can without putting needless wear on the fans. My question is, do you think its possibly due to the repair work I had done? Or is it more likely to be a result of Leopard being a bit bloated in comparison to Tiger?

Any help you could give would be much appreciated!:)

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Download SMC Fan Control and give us some average temperature readings and we can tell you how you are doing temperature wise. 9/10 on this forum, people worry about temperature when there is nothing abnormal going on temperature wise.

3. kalex macrumors 65816

Also don't forget that CoreDuo is far worse at temp control and battery life than C2D processors. also note that Leopard is more resource intensive than Tiger. Core Duo models were designed when Tiger was still being shipped and installed so they are optimized for Tiger.

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i use smc fancontrol at 3030rpm on my coreduo and use it on bootup and keeps the fans not on as hardcore when it gets hotter. runnning leopard as well but with much lower specs :p

5. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

This isn't really true I don't think.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My girlfriends 2ghz C2D does get quite hot under alot of use, we've never actually stressed tested it, but I'm guessing it would get very uncomfortable if it was on your lap, as suggested above, install SMC Fan Control, it's a very useful app, I have it installed on all my systems, I use it alot on my MBP, now that get's hot.