Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi Folks,

I have a pile of Corel Draw 11 files (DVD case layouts) on a pc.

I have Photoshop 3 on my mac. I'd like to open those files on my mac in PS (it will be one of the last steps in ridding myself of the peecee :)

I checked the file types in file - open, but it doesn't seem to list Draw files (probably something proprietary from Corel).

Is there a format I can convert to from within Draw that PS will open and then I can save as a psd?

I know a bit about graphics programs, but I'm certainly not an expert. It's one of those hats I need to wear as a small biz owner - and that hat just fits well enough to get by in that world :)

Cheers,
keebler

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi Folks,

I have a pile of Corel Draw 11 files (DVD case layouts) on a pc.

I have Photoshop 3 on my mac. I'd like to open those files on my mac in PS (it will be one of the last steps in ridding myself of the peecee :)

Are the Corel files vetor artwork and if so do you need to beable to make edits to them on the Mac? If so Photoshop is not the program you want. Adobe Illustrator is the closest to draw. Adobe Illustrator can many time open Corel .cdr files. If not (the cdr files are to complex.) savethem as eps or pdf.

But if these are raster images then you should save them as tiff files as that will preserve the most image quality and tiff is universal.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Corel Draw is not supported by Mac. You will have to convert the files to a compatible format (TIFF, PDF, PSD, EPS, JPEG etc.)

thanks. i'll try eps first and hopefully, i'll be able to edit or back to the drawing board i go.

Muzz

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
CorelDraw 11

A Mac version CorelDraw 11 was released a few years ago (the last one for the Mac I think) and it works fine on my intel Mac (although fortunately I hardly ever have to use it).

You might find the Mac version available somewhere online.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
A Mac version CorelDraw 11 was released a few years ago (the last one for the Mac I think) and it works fine on my intel Mac (although fortunately I hardly ever have to use it).

You might find the Mac version available somewhere online.

hmmm..that might be an option. I have the discs (used to work for them). I do remember that now.

BUT, i'll try the illustrator option (thanks ChrisA) as I'd like to stick with Adobe....trying to learn what seems to be the industry standard. :)

cheers,
Keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.