Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I installed Painter IX on my imac duo today and it worked great.

I subsequently loaded it up this evening and it crashes / quits out at startup.

I've installed patch to 9.1 but to no avail?

Anyone else had problems with painter on intel macs? or PPC and what solutions could I try..

I've done the uninstall, re-install route and scrap preferences to no avail..

It's really peeing me off as this is the one programme I really need...

Strange thing is painter essentials 2 works no problem so whats up with painter IX??

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
MacRumorUser
I installed Painter IX on my imac duo today and it worked great.

I subsequently loaded it up this evening and it crashes / quits out at startup.

I've installed patch to 9.1 but to no avail?

Anyone else had problems with painter on intel macs? or PPC and what solutions could I try..

I've done the uninstall, re-install route and scrap preferences to no avail..

It's really peeing me off as this is the one programme I really need...

Strange thing is painter essentials 2 works no problem so whats up with painter IX??

I should get my iMac in tomorrow and this is one program that I just got along with Studio 8 (for Flash 8) so I'll see how it works for me and let you know how it acts. It installed okay for you just won't work after that?
I don't like reading about stuff like that :cool: Anyway, it worked fine on my iMac G5 I had (Rev. B) I just didn't know how to use it very well :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Artful Dodger said:
I should get my iMac in tomorrow and this is one program that I just got along with Studio 8 (for Flash 8) so I'll see how it works for me and let you know how it acts. It installed okay for you just won't work after that?
I don't like reading about stuff like that :cool: Anyway, it worked fine on my iMac G5 I had (Rev. B) I just didn't know how to use it very well :eek:

Yeah that's the weird thing. It installed fine no problems. I tested it and it loaded up the splash screen and I proceeded to load up a painting I had done prior and it all worked fine.

Subsequently installed other apps and made sure my wacom pad was working (I did this after so there could be some compatability issues) and when trying this evening all I'm getting is the programme attempting to load and then it quits out...

But like I say Painter Essentials 2 is working with everything else?? It's bizzarre....

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
In the past I've had trouble with Painter (so I thought) and it turned out to be a problem with the Wacom driver. You could disconnect the tablet and then see if you can repeat the error when using the mouse. If the trouble persists than its obviously Painter thats causing the problem, if not then it could be the Wacom.
ps I think that there is a user discussion forum on the Wacom website.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
stevep said:
In the past I've had trouble with Painter (so I thought) and it turned out to be a problem with the Wacom driver. You could disconnect the tablet and then see if you can repeat the error when using the mouse. If the trouble persists than its obviously Painter thats causing the problem, if not then it could be the Wacom.

It's possible, painter opened for me before i installed the latest wacom drivers, however.... what's the point in painter without a tablet.. Bittersweet irony...

I'll try unplugging it and re-booting though, just to see...

Well unplugged it but it still loads up. So I access activity monitor and force quit tablet driver and guess what....

Damn Corel Painter works:( Bitter Irony how you taunt me :p

Ok this is a fast update,

I downloaded different drivers from WACOM and gave them each a shot.

Basically the two newer drivers DO NOT work and cause Painter to quit on Intel Mac.

But driver version 4.9.1-3a works.:D

Thanks SteveP for giving me a heads up.

Now i'm enjoying painter IX on my imac duo :)

Oh the side-effect though .... System preference Wacom Tablet pane does not work, hopefully both these will be sorted soon...

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
stevep

Thanks, this was making me nuts and I feared the worst (runs to pop a few pills) separation anxiety from my tablet :eek:

Thanks to MacRumorUser for that update # for the drivers :D
Now to start the fun...

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I have been using Painter IX 9.1 with my Mac (10.4.5) on PowerPC. There was a free update to 9.5 at Corel website and I just downloaded it. So far, everything is working well. I am planning to stick with my current G4 PowerBook/iBook for the time being as it may take a while before essential software will be converted to Universal Binary. My Mac/Painter/Wacom Tablets are in good harmony......

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Downloaded it, same problem though with intel mac. Wacom drivers 4.94 cause the program to quit.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
There's a warning with IX.5 (stupidest version number ever!) to clear out the preferences (hold down shift while launching) on the first post-update run. You may want to see if that clears the tablet crash thing.

Meanwhile I'm hunting for a preference to hide that new splash screen, it's ouchful to look at.

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
Help!

I have been trying to get Painter IX.5 to launch on my MacBook but it won't. I have followed every troubleshooting tip I can find, from holding down the shift key while starting to removing all Wacom drivers, repairing permissions, etc... I've contacted Corel, both on the phone three times and through email, and I'm sorry to say but they are barely competent. The last person I spoke with told me that Painter is not supported on the Intel Macs. Obviously this is not correct as many users here and elsewhere seem to be using it just fine. It's my understanding that IX.5 was designed specifically to be used with Rosetta (at least according to MacWorld and other sources).

I'm on the verge of reloading the entire OS in order to see if that solves the problem. When I first got the laptop, I brought my user folder into it from my other computer, so I'm thinking that possibly there is a file from there which is causing some problem. I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions?

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
Sun Baked said:
>mickhyperion

Try update_prebinding to see if that is the problem.

Usually something to do if an app is supposed to work but keeps quiting.

Thanks Sun Baked, but unfortunately it didn't help.

I should also mention that I have re-installed the software a dozen or more times now (after removing all traces of the previous install including prefs & app support). Usually by loading IX, followed by the IX.1 update, followed by the IX.5 update, though upon suggestion from Corel I also downloaded an IX.5 trial and installed that, but to no avail.

I have also created a new user name and logged in under that to see if it would help, but it hasn't.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm assuming your using a wacom tablet - intuos range ?

PAINTER CRASHING OUT WITH THE WRONG WACOM DRIVER IS A KNOWN ISSUE :)

What WACOM drivers are you using.... ?
Forget corel painter - it's not to blame, it's the wacom drivers that are doing the damage.
My macbook runs it perfectly.

The wacom driver you need to install is here

http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/download.cfm?id=156&product=PTZ

Also make sure you uninstall your last driver.

Search spotlight if needs be and delete traces of wacom

so drag the folowing out of spotlight and trash them.

tabletdriver
wacom tablet sys pref
tablet preferences

install the new drivers and reboot.

Try running corel now, it should be fine (in theory ;) )

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MacRumorUser said:
I'm assuming your using a wacom tablet - intuos range ?

PAINTER CRASHING OUT WITH THE WRONG WACOM DRIVER IS A KNOWN ISSUE :)

What WACOM drivers are you using.... ?
Forget corel painter - it's not to blame, it's the wacom drivers that are doing the damage.
My macbook runs it perfectly.

The wacom driver you need to install is here

http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/download.cfm?id=156&product=PTZ

Also make sure you uninstall your last driver.

Search spotlight if needs be and delete traces of wacom

so drag the folowing out of spotlight and trash them.

tabletdriver
wacom tablet sys pref
tablet preferences

install the new drivers and reboot.

Try running corel now, it should be fine (in theory ;) )

Thanks MacRumorUser, but that wasn't it either. I had already tried that (used Spotlight to search for all signs of "tablet" and "wacom", using the tablet uninstaller, etc) after reading your previous entries in this thread. I thought for sure that would be it too.

I ended up solving the problem last night by doing an erase and install on the system followed by loading Painter before anything else. Now it seems to work fine. I've been selective about which backup files to reload on so as not to put back whatever was causing the problem. Fortunately I had very little on the system at all so it was no big trick. I have barely used the MacBook since I got it.

One other problem I had prior to this seemed to be caused by third party software called unPoster. Suddenly my Photoshop and ImageReady programs stopped thinking they were applications. It turned out that their .app extensions had been stripped (legally owned versions I might add) and needed to be put back on. I have no idea if unPoster really had anything to do with it, but it was right after I had downloaded that software that it happened. I had only used unPoster to piece together parts of a movie, but I removed it and its prefs from my system anyway before discovering the Painter problem. No idea if it's related.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I have an Intel iMac, Painter IX.5, and an Intuos Wacom tablet..I have no problems running Painter at all. Have you tried running it under another user name to see if perhaps the problem is with your account? I'd be happy to check my settings for you, if you think it would help.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
I have an Intel iMac, Painter IX.5, and an Intuos Wacom tablet..I have no problems running Painter at all. Have you tried running it under another user name to see if perhaps the problem is with your account? I'd be happy to check my settings for you, if you think it would help.

I tried it under 2 separate user accounts (admini and standard user). I can use Painter IX with regular mouse. But, when I tried to use Wacom tablet, Wacom pen is triggering Dock to appear when I hover the pen over the lower part of the screen (where Dock is located). Then, it clicks on the apps automatically even though I am not even clicking with Wacom pen. So, it basically messes up the usability because of the odd behavior by Wacom tablet. I tried unintall and reinstall a few times for Wacom driver and even the new 6.00-3 driver does not fix this problem.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I tried it under 2 separate user accounts (admini and standard user). I can use Painter IX with regular mouse. But, when I tried to use Wacom tablet, Wacom pen is triggering Dock to appear when I hover the pen over the lower part of the screen (where Dock is located). Then, it clicks on the apps automatically even though I am not even clicking with Wacom pen. So, it basically messes up the usability because of the odd behavior by Wacom tablet. I tried unintall and reinstall a few times for Wacom driver and even the new 6.00-3 driver does not fix this problem.

Ouch..definitely sounds like something is off there...workaround perhaps, try setting your dock to the right or left side of screen when working in Painter? I have seen the dock expand from hiding when I'm working near the bottom of the window, but have not had it clicking on any apps.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This maybe a stupid question, but you do have the latest drivers for your wacom dont you ?

Earlier wacom drivers had serious issues on intel macs.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
This maybe a stupid question, but you do have the latest drivers for your wacom dont you ?

Earlier wacom drivers had serious issues on intel macs.

The driver for Wacom is the most recent (as I stated in my post earlier). I have done several uninstall and install of this new driver and the previous driver (just to test it out as the previous one is said to be Intel Mac-ready). The results are same (ie. same problem).
I don't know what is going on with my Wacom driver on MBP. Whenever I move my Wacom pen near the dock area (without actually touching/clicking the Wacom tablet), the contexual menu shows up as if I have actually clicked on the tablet (even though I did not).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.