Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
I am getting some data from someone that claims to be copying their data from an old computer with Paradox on it.

Is this an operating system? How can they export the files in the most manageable way?

And then how can I look at these files? I am on a mac, but I would be willing to install any windows to get this information.

Thanks!

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Paradox

Paradox is an older Windows database system - some versions could be imported into Access. If you need the data, it would be best to export it from Paradox on the other computer (perhaps into tab separated text) and then use it in a database you are familiar with.

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
Well I'm trying to explain to someone how to export data in the friendliest way to someone out of state - so I can't be there to look at it myself.

Whats the best way for them to export?

What is the best way for me to view the exported files?

They were just going to email them to me.

Help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Paradox export

I don't know the program at all well, I reckon its been 15 years since I had anything to do with it, and that wasn't much as out sys admin was the Borland queen.

Do you know if the data is in multiple tables or is flat file. Your are definitely going to need to know some of the database design to make a good job of exporting. Does the other person have such knowledge?

On the Mac side you may be able to use Excel, Filemaker Pro or for most flexibility 4D. Do you have much database experience?

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
Unfortunately the person attempting to get this data off her computer is NOT very tech savvy. I have some experience with Excel.

I suppose I could start by asking her if the data is in multiple tables or a flat file - either way if you think I can import it into Excel - I think I'll be able to figure it out. I'll figure that out when the time comes.

Think this is the best way to go about? Thanks for the responses by the way.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Dbf ?

You could see if Excel will open any .dbf files that are present if its an older version of Paradox. Perhaps get a small file of this type sent over by email to see. If that doesn't work I am a bit stuck to help.

I pulled our second clinical database together from such files in 94 and wrote a new system in Filemaker 2.1. It was a huge advance as we were previously paying hundreds of pounds just to get individual and quite simple reports done, but its rather a long time ago now.

Good luck & HTH:)

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
Yeah so I have the file and it has no .extension

The woman told me it is a "Professional File" - but still Paradox. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.