Corex CardScan

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sfscott, Oct 20, 2008.

1. sfscott macrumors member

I currently have a CardScan business card scanner that runs on Vista, and I just made the switch to a Mac.

The company has a Mac version of the software, but they say it won't scan new cards unless you buy a new "mac-only" scanner. I could run my old version on under Fusion, but can anyone verify if this is indeed true?

If so, what is the technical reason, and is it hackable?

2. DougKnowles macrumors newbie

CardScan scanner on the Mac

Hi,

The CardScan 800c scanner supported by the Mac product is not a Mac-only scanner; it's the same scanner that has been shipping with our premium Windows product, CardScan Executive. The communication protocol differs from our earlier scanners, and it is the only one we ported to the Mac.

Although I can appreciate that it would be an interesting challenge ;-), I strongly doubt that the software could be hacked to support the other scanners.

I know it's small consolation, but owners of CardScan Executive (for Windows) and an 800c scanner can download the Mac software for free (current serial number required).

3. bluepeters macrumors newbie

Corex Cardscan Synch with iPhone Contacts

At present it seems that in order to Synch Corex Cardscan Contacts with iPhone Contacts you have to go via MS Outlook. This is really messy and often leads to synch problems.

Has anyone found a way to synch Cardscan with iPhone/iTouch direct without having to go via Outlook?

Thanks.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have a Cardscan 800C that I was using under windows. When I switched to Mac, I downloaded the drivers that DougKnowles mentioned.

I believe that I am importing them into Entourage, which syncs with my exchange server. I also have Entourage set up to automatically sync with address book.

I have just changed work computers, and I have not setup my Cardscan yet, so I may be a bit confused. However, I know that it worked such that whenever I would scan a card a work, that both my exchange and mac address books would update.

I understand your concern about syncing multiple databases. I keep my primary database on the my corporate exchange server, and use entourage to sync between that an Apple Address Book. I get the heeby jeebies that one will wipe out the other... even though it has not happened. I have considered going to separate work and personal address books... except that instead of achieving work/life balance... I have achieved work/life blur.

/Jim