Corning 10m TB2 cable & Pegasus 2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cubemmal, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

Well I'm still waiting for my nMP (and just found out that you can't upgrade the shipping without reordering, so I'm stuck with Standard, grrr) but I've got a Corning 10m/33ft TB2 cable and a Pegasus 2 4 diskless waiting for it. A few notes for the curious ...

The Pegasus is quite nice. Very quiet, it has a big and unfortunately also a small fan for the power supply, so it's louder than it needs be. But with SSD's in there and it locked away in a cabinet (one reason I got the 33ft cable) it's effectively silent. I'm putting some random SSD's I have sitting around in it, but unfortunately the screws they shipped only work with Hard Drives. Oh well ... luckily I have a few SSD screws around.

I've got it plugged into a MBP 17" for now which went seamlessly. You can hot plug drives too, they just show up if formatted for OS X, or you get an unreadable warning if not. Sleeping the computer sleeps the Promise, and when waking up the computer the Promise drives seamlessly wakes up also. Notice this is all on a TB1 system, MBP->TB Cinema->Promise. Unfortunately I have the MBP lid down, and when waking the monitor doesn't wake up. Bad Apple ... bad ...

I'm not much of a benchmark guy, but copying and accessing files is ... Lightning fast. Ha Ha.

2. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Just call apple and throw a fit about how put out you are waiting this long....and how your productivity is suffering....yada yada yada, and they'll probably upgrade your shipping for free..:D
    Is that the optical thunderbolt cable?

3. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I've never had an SSD that took different screws than an HDD.

Maybe there's a hack for lid-sleep issues?

4. AVonGauss macrumors regular

The screw size for 3.5 drives differs from 2.5, SSD or traditional HD.

5. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually it is, so happens that I'm working on a big project that I need the nMP for (three monitors and fast performance).

Yup, that's the only way I believe you'll get to 33 ft on TB. The cable is a treat, thin, bendable and lays well. The connectors get pretty warm with the work of translating electrical to optical.

6. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I bet it does, for 600 $ or how much it costs...

Absolutely RIDICULOUS how much long tb cables cost!!!

7. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Ah, that makes sense then. :p

I can see thinking of 2.5 as SSD and 3.5 as HDD.

Optical cables have been around for a long time now, so it seems insane that TB optical cables should cost so much.

8. CH12671 macrumors 6502

That's awesome. Expensive, but with the technology the only limit to the length ultimately will be the strength and focus of the light I suppose.....

9. hollyhillbilly macrumors member

10. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wavelength and diffusion in the waveguide. Optical can do quite well, with these Corning is advertising up to 100m I believe.

I got it from B&H who has it for an even $300.

On another note today my monitor came up properly from sleep. Otherwise I wrote Promise asking for 2.5" screws and naturally got the answer "we don't supply them". Unfortunately I can't find a good source online, anybody know of one?

11. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll also note that the Promise Utility is very nice.

Third party peripherals on the Mac have a terrible history. I've gotten burned more often than not. Apple doesn't seem to care, look at TB docks for an example. They're all having reports of issues with computer sleep and disconnects.

This Promise unit (I understand the first generation had some issues) is working perfectly so far and I'm very impressed and glad I purchased it.