Corning Announces Super Scratch Resistant 'Gorilla Glass SR+' for Wearable Devices

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 30, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In 2015, Corning announced "Project Phire," a new material that combines the strength of Gorilla Glass with the scratch-resistance of sapphire, and as of today, the result of that project is ready to launch.

Now called "Gorilla Glass SR+," Corning's latest product is a composite material for wearable devices. It's been designed to cut down on visible scratches while continuing to deliver all of the features of the original Gorilla Glass.

According to Corning, Gorilla Glass SR+ offers scratch resistance similar to sapphire but with 70 percent better damage resistance against impacts and 25 percent better surface reflection. Corning says these optical improvements enable better battery life and improved outdoor readability.

[​IMG]
    Corning is a long-time Apple Supplier, and its Gorilla Glass products have been used in the iPhone and the iPad for several years. For its wearable device, the Apple Watch, Apple currently uses Ion-X glass for the Sport model and sapphire glass for the stainless steel and Edition models.

It is not clear if Apple will consider Corning's newest product for any future versions of the Apple Watch, but if it is superior to current technology, it is a possibility. Corning says Gorilla Glass SR+ is now commercially available and is expected to be in products from "leading global brands" starting later this year.

Article Link: Corning Announces Super Scratch Resistant 'Gorilla Glass SR+' for Wearable Devices

2. lordofthereef, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Why just wearables?

Edit: I seem to be getting a lot of quotes here... the claims in the article are that it's essentially superior to sapphire. So I'm wondering why we don't have applications such as camera lense covers and the like. I wasn't thinking strictly enormous screens. But I could have been clearer.

3. esp718 macrumors newbie

esp718

4. JohnApples macrumors 65816

This is only a guess, but: maybe its because that wearables' screens are relatively small, so its easier getting shatter resistance while maintain "sapphire-like scratch resistance." It's possible that this new glass didn't offer much better drop resistance when made into larger screens.

5. Trik macrumors 6502

Knowing Apple's relationship with Corning, it wouldn't surprise me if this was in the Apple Watch 2 (sport). I went with the Sapphire on the original because I can't stand getting little scratches on my watch face, but I'll be watching this to see how it fairs over time.

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Price?
    Loses its advantages in larger sizes?
    Quality issues in manufacturing larger panes?

7. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

8. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

9. Szarky macrumors 6502a

One of the reasons I ended up selling my Apple Watch, just felt a bit dorky. Looked like something that was maybe futuristic in 2013 or 2014.

10. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

"Corning is a long-time Apple Supplier, and its Gorilla Glass products have been used in the iPhone and the iPad for several years". Is it this underselling things just a tad? I thought that Jobs himself worked with Corning to include the original Gorilla Glass in the very first iPhone. Is that accurate or am I dreaming?

11. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

12. wizard macrumors 68040

Anybody notice a pattern here. Suppliers to Apple have a habit of announcing new technology just before Apples big events. This suggest to me that Apple has worked this material into one or more designs.

13. CFreymarc Suspended

Small surface area. Put this on a larger surface such as house Windows or automotive, cost would skyrocket as the yields decline.

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

That's what I was going to say.

15. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Harambe was shot, so that wouldn't bode well for the whole point of gorilla glass...

16. Soccertess macrumors 65816

My thoughts exactly! I was like.. who makes this watch!

Time to fire John and hire a replacement!

17. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

i think the fact that they used harambe as the image on that watch is adorable.

rip in peace harambe

18. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

I believe the Watch is more a Marc Newson child.

19. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Not sure, Newyorker reported it was Mr. Ive. But either way I like the concept image :)

20. 69Mustang, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

This relationship has always seemed strange to me. Apple won't say that they use GG, and they won't allow Corning to acknowledge GG is used on iProducts. Everyone knows they do, so I don't really see the issue. I've always subscribed to the conspiracy theory that not all iPhones and iPads have GG. Sort of like the Samsung/TSMC chip deal. I don't know, regional maybe. My theory is not without merit. There are 3 main players for ion exchange glass. Two of them, including Corning, are Apple suppliers.

While I'm at it, what's with the stupid Ion-X name for the glass on the Apple Watch? It's GG too.

21. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I always wonder if corning is tricking people with their so called gorilla glass upgrades......

22. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

The current production method, while making the glass scratch-resistant, also makes it brittle as the glass size increases.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

The concept looks damn uncomfortable.

24. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

That would be an easily verified through testing. Besides the downside would far, far, far outweigh and perceived benefit.

25. yngrshr macrumors regular

As scratch resistant and tougher?

Yeah, the actual watch industry would've invented this ages ago if that were the case.