Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Coronavirus Outbreak to Continue Impacting Apple's iPhone Production Into April

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ongoing delays from the coronavirus outbreak in China will likely cause Apple to miss its schedule for mass producing the low-cost iPhone, and inventories of existing models could remain low until April or longer, according to new information shared today by Japanese site Nikkei.

iPhone suppliers, on average, are said to be operating at 30 to 50 percent capacity at the current time, and to ramp up to full production, hurdles that include labor shortages and transportation logistics need to be overcome.

Apple was planning to begin mass production on the upcoming low-cost iPhone in February, but sources that spoke to Nikkei said that meeting that target is "very challenging" and production could be delayed until March.

Current rumors have suggested Apple plans to unveil the new iPhone at an event that's set to take place in March, perhaps on March 31, with Apple then releasing the device on April 3. Though there are issues with production, multiple sources have said the new iPhone is still going to launch on time.
"The suppliers are doing their best to produce and ship the [cheaper] iPhone within four weeks. ...The delay can't be too long, otherwise it will affect the sales strategy of Apple's new products in the second half of this year," one of the people, who has direct knowledge of the matter, told Nikkei.
Apple was hoping to have its suppliers produce 80 million iPhone units in the first half of 2020, including 15 million low-cost iPhones, but the company's production plan is now uncertain. Apple yesterday said that it will not meet its revenue goals for the March quarter due to constrained iPhone supplies and low customer demand for Apple products in China amid the outbreak.

Factories in China are counting on having more employees back at work as soon as next Monday, when a quarantine period for those who returned from outside provinces will end. Travel logistics are said to be a "major headache" at the current time, as suppliers need to change truck drivers when crossing provincial borders due to quarantine requirements.

The coronavirus has infected more than 73,000 people, and there have been 1,870 deaths, primarily in China.

Article Link: Coronavirus Outbreak to Continue Impacting Apple's iPhone Production Into April

hagjohn

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
No kidding. I think has been pretty obvious for a while that it will take a bit of time to get back to normal after the Coronavirus subsides. All companies should have a diversified supply chain/manufacturing, just in case things like this happen.

Comment

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Hopefully this is under control shortly, but Apple has an amazing supply chain and the companies like Foxconn are not going to fold. They will adapt and make this work if this drags on.

100% confidence they’ll work this out sooner than later.

Comment

allapple

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Maine
Is customs going to check the phones for the virus? who knows who's handling what and if the virus can attach itself to the phone, the box, the wrapping.....? No thank you!

Reactions: cb3 and timme
Comment

bbzzz

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
How will folks cope in the face of not getting their new phone on time? Oh, the tragedy.

Perhaps people should focus on the human suffering and potential for much worse down the road and forget about their tech toys.

Buying stuff reduces their suffering as that is the way they survive, after the extended down time they need it even more

Comment

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Is customs going to check the phones for the virus? who knows who's handling what and if the virus can attach itself to the phone, the box, the wrapping.....? No thank you!
I read a report that stated COVID-19 can only survive a few hours on a surface so as long as the person handing you the packaged iPhone at the store isn’t infected, you should be alright.
[automerge]1582073844[/automerge]
The virus is not viable outside of the human body for a long time. Maybe a few days at most.
I think a few days may be pushing it, unless new data comes out in the future that points to a more robust virus than we’ve experienced in the past.
[automerge]1582074307[/automerge]
I know this is an Apple-focused site... but aren't most smartphones made in China? And other products in general?

I'm curious to know how other manufacturers will be affected by the virus.
I think Samsung moved all or most of their smartphone production out of China. The threat of tariffs may have played a role, but it’s possible they also considered a virus scenario that knocks out production for several weeks/months when they made the decision. However, I think some components are still sourced from China so eventually their smartphone production will be negatively affected along with other products if this drags on.

Last edited:
Comment

orthorim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Let's worry less about phones and Apple bauble's and think more about the victims.

Influenza infected millions and killed tens of thousands world wide...

Let's face it the only reason everyone's worried is because mass media is telling them to. I know this is something you would never ever want to admit - you're a free thinker!

But the truth is, more people die from car accidents and falling over when getting out of bed each year - especially in the age bracket of covir victims!

People suffer from the most unreasonable fears - 1.25 million people die every year in car crashes. Yet everyone continues to drive their cars.

Corona kills 2k people - alright admittedly, i would rather have all these people still with us and alive and healthy - but it's no reason to panic.

In other words if you're panicing about 2k corona deaths, please never look at traffic statistics because you'll get a heart attack. And 647,000 Americans die of that each year, wouldn't want you to be one of them ;)

Comment

jchap

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
Corona kills 2k people - alright admittedly, i would rather have all these people still with us and alive and healthy - but it's no reason to panic.

I totally agree with your sentiments about putting things into perspective. The mass media is very good at grossly magnifying things that have a relatively small impact on humanity, and spending less time on the issues that are more uninteresting but far more relevant in the long term. It's our negativity bias, apparently hardwired into our brains as a primitive means of survival.

That said, I do not agree with what you said about 2k people dying being "no reason to panic." Compared to the millions each year who die in car accidents and the like, two thousand victims may not seem like much, but it is still a tragic loss of human life nonetheless. Virulent epidemics need to be contained and dealt with swiftly and surely. Quarantining known carriers, educating the public and "making a big deal of it" is crucial in preventing more loss of life.

Comment

ani4ani

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
UK

A virus can survive without a host for a very short time.

Comment

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Influenza infected millions and killed tens of thousands world wide...

Let's face it the only reason everyone's worried is because mass media is telling them to. I know this is something you would never ever want to admit - you're a free thinker!

But the truth is, more people die from car accidents and falling over when getting out of bed each year - especially in the age bracket of covir victims!

People suffer from the most unreasonable fears - 1.25 million people die every year in car crashes. Yet everyone continues to drive their cars.

In other words if you're panicing about 2k corona deaths, please never look at traffic statistics because you'll get a heart attack. And 647,000 Americans die of that each year, wouldn't want you to be one of them ;)
This sums it up perfectly. Thousands of people die everyday. But the media tells us that we should do.

this is nature culling the herd. Plain and simple. Nature is brutal at times.

i feel bad for the victims and their families but it’s still a rather minor threat world wide.

Comment

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Hmmm ... my new Apple Watch just arrived from China today. Wanna come help me open it?

The virus can last on a solid surface for 9 days.

How long was the boat ride?
[automerge]1582131290[/automerge]
This sums it up perfectly. Thousands of people die everyday. But the media tells us that we should do.

this is nature culling the herd. Plain and simple. Nature is brutal at times.

i feel bad for the victims and their families but it’s still a rather minor threat world wide.

You have no idea.
[automerge]1582131320[/automerge]
A virus can survive without a host for a very short time.

They are saying it can live on a solid surface for 9 days.

Comment

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
No kidding. I think has been pretty obvious for a while that it will take a bit of time to get back to normal after the Coronavirus subsides. All companies should have a diversified supply chain/manufacturing, just in case things like this happen.

Right. But it's not so easy in the real world, and can be hideously expensive--essentially impossible--to do, for many businesses. The risk analysis studies that are normally done can be mind boggling.

Comment

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I'm actually more than concerned for the people over there. I'm also worried if China can't keep this contained. I believe production will be affected on Apple products. We've placed so much on the Chinese economy as I'd wager the majority of our products are made there.

Comment

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
The virus is not viable outside of the human body for a long time. Maybe a few days at most.

More like NINE DAYS, if 22 different studies done on similar coronaviruses (SARS and MERS) is a guideline:

(per CDC)
"Reviewing the literature on all available human and veterinary viruses within this family, encompassing 22 studies, researchers have found that the human pathogens can persist on surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days."

And some veterinary coronaviruses (only animal infections normally) can even persists for 28 days.

Comment

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
This is only gonna get worse, before it gets better..

Since we all depend on China, import/xport and other stuff, its like someone removing a 'key' bolck from the wall and we all watch the rest fall.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.