Corporate deal from Apple on bulk buying?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JarScott, Aug 21, 2014.

1. JarScott, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Hi guys, I'm wondering if any of you might be able to share some information on how to go about getting multiple units from Apple at some sort of corporate discount for bulk buying.

My dad's company want to use iOS devices (namely iPod touches) to scan tickets at venues. I recommended they use iOS purely because of how simple and easy it is to apply restrictions to devices and the quality of apps available which they'd want to use.

They're looking at doing a test run with about 5 or 6 devices and they'd like to know how much it would cost to bulk buy iPod touches from Apple and if this is even possible (if Apple offer some sort of corporate discount).

The devices are to be used to 'validate' tickets using QR codes making use of a website they've created. All it needs is the iPod's camera and any QR code app which uses the internet. I guess if anyone has any other way in which this could be done then I'm open to that as well. I looked at cheap Android tablets for them but I don't think they'll be as reliable as iOS devices and the company also would like to have cases made featuring company branding which won't be easy with an obscure Android device.

Any information will be useful.

Edit: After reading up on Apple's corporate deals, it seems it's pretty flimsy with them only offering a 5% discount per unit, in most cases. Maybe the company should get in touch directly with Apple to see if another arrangement can be made.

2. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

First of all it would have to be connected to wifi all the time to work. This means that every venue you are using would have to have accessible wifi.

Second the touch's battery is weak, you would have to put them in battery cases or keep them connected to a power outlet the whole time. Doing scans with the camera might mean the touch lasts 1-2 hours tops before demanding a charge. Whenever I try to scan something my battery seems to tank, like from 85% to 20% in a matter of 5-10 min. If you are going the charger route keep in mind the cable is weak and you will have to buy replacements and lightning cables aren't cheap.

If you are 100% certain that you can get wifi everywhere these will be used then I would go with some kind of tablet. The iPad's battery is so much more robust than the iPhone or the touch and can last like 10 hours..

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

That doesnt sound normal. How old is the device/battery?

To the OP, Apple has sales people specifically for corporate accounts. My local store has a few on location (they wear black shirts), you may want to check with them directly.

4. illusionx macrumors 6502

Corporate deal from Apple on bulk buying?

I have a corporate account. They typically offer 5% after 5k sales. Then after that, it is up to the store based on how much you purchase from the store.

5. JarScott thread starter macrumors 601

JarScott

Yeah, it seems like iOS devices may not be the route to go down. 5% is a pathetically low discount and the company aren't looking to spend as much as Apple would demand. I'll have to look elsewhere for cheaper tablets or something.

6. ianj1972 macrumors member

5 or 6 ipod touches wouldn't get them excited so I suspect you'd pay retail. As the poster above said, above 5k you would likely see a 5% discount. Apple don't need to discount stock to shift it so discounts are hard to come by.
    If you want cheap look at one of the Android platforms which are a fraction of the price.

7. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

5th gen touch that was bought at launch. This happens when using the shopkick app. I have a feeling that the app is draining too much battery. I don't have a problem with other apps just that one, though I haven't tried to scan with any other apps. I don't game on the touch so that is not a problem. If you don't have a full charge and have like 85% left or a sliver gone and you start scanning with the shopkick app then the battery drops to 20% warning in 5 min or less. It is better with a full charge though 100%.

Also problems seem to have gotten a little better with the latest iOS, I can at least get enough streaming radio via tune in app. I was getting about 4 hours of radio stream with the screen on. Before someone criticizes me for using the screen while streaming the type of music I listen to requires me to see song titles and artists or else I won't know what I am listening to. That is why I bought the touch, cause it has a screen and let's me do the things I need to do, not so I can stop doing what I need to do just to save battery life.

I also had the same problem with the 4th gen touch except it was worse and I could barely get a day of use out of it, I guess the batteries on these things aren't meant to last more than 2 years before experiencing problems.

The late

8. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Wasn't there a scanner/battery case for the iPhone?

It just seems like there were some at one time. Do you have an app that you were going to use to verify the tickets? What does it use?

----------

I wonder how it knows where you are going without GPS? They have a bizarre website video.

9. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

It works fine. I use the store's wifi when I am at the store. Almost all stores have wifi here except stupid walmart where I do not shop. I am guessing it knows cause of the store's wifi. But I have no trouble using any location based app including foursquare/swam.

Also it doesn't have to be that accurate of a location, the walk in points are collected via a sound box at the entrance to each store, so your device just needs to hear the sound, and the touch has a built in microphone so that is not an issue.

Also if you don't have wifi you can open the app at the entrance to the store, it will collect the points and you get them next time you connect.