Corporate Discount

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 5950, Jun 2, 2009.

1. 5950 macrumors newbie

Was there any reason as to why ATT will not allow you to use your corporate discount if you have an iPhone? The plans are so expensive and I get 20% off but I obviously can't use it...

I called Sprint today and they said they will allow discounts on the Pre....Palm is making awfully tough not to consider a switch when my contract runs out here soon, Ive had the original iPhone almost since it out. But the discount, the horrible reception, and all the limitations are beginning to be too much for me.

(Hopefully the plan prices come down on the new release....):apple:

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Been under a rock for awhile?
    3G iPhone plans allow corporate discounts the original iPhone does not.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

AT&T created a special plan for the original iPhone. It cost $20/month, and it included unlimited data and 200 text messages. That was a 43% discount off of the normal price of those two features. (The normally cost $35/month).

So with the data + text plan already discounted 43%, they didn't allow additional discounts on the data plan. They would let you use your corp. discount on the voice plan, though.

As skubish pointed out, for the iPhone 3G, you've been able to use your corporate discount as AT&T doesn't treat the iPhone data plan any different. It's $30, just like every other smartphone.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I get my discount on my entire bill, voice, data, international roaming, international data. Unless you have a first gen iPhone, you can get a discount. And if you're on a family plan, it works out better to not have an iPhone as the primary line (someone from AT&T explained why to me but I don't remember).

5. zookster macrumors member

But no discount on Messaging. Why? I will never know.

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

AT&T doesn't discount ANY features under a certain amount ... it's either $20 or $30 ... can't remember.

7. beeh macrumors regular

I'd be interested if someone knows why you would not want an iPhone as the primary line on a family plan...?

8. Nor*Cal macrumors regular

Is it true that for some corporate iPhone discounts the minutes are only discounted and not the data?

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

It is only an issue with the original iPhone on the primary line or the case where you are upgrading from the original iPhone to an iPhone 3G on the primary line.

If you have the original iPhone as the primary line on a FamilyTalk rate plan, then you don't get any rate plan discounts on the primary line due to the agreement between AT&T and Apple. Many FANs don't cover any add-a-lines and only provide discounts on the primary line.

If you upgrade from the original iPhone to the iPhone 3G on the primary line the iPhone tracking flag will by default prevent you from receiving the FAN discount. The tracking flag can be removed by a simple call to Customer Care.

FAN = Foundation Account Number, this number is added to your account
    NAD = Nation Account Discount, this is the actual discount that shows on your billing.

Dave

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Correct, individual corporate discounts vary based on the contract between your company or group and AT&T.

Some discounts (FAN/NAD) apply only to voice, or voice and data rate plans and others may include select features in addition the voice and data plans. Some disounts only apply to the primary line and others include the primary and add-a-lines (iPhone 3G data plan for example but not the ($9.99 add-a-line feature)).

The NAD can range from 5% to more than 30% with one FAN providing a %50 discount.

Dave

11. thetexan macrumors 6502a

AT&T's first iPhone plan allows no discounts. Their 3G plan does allow discounts, but AT&T might not discount that great depending on your FAN. My corporate discount on the 3G still ended up making my plan higher than my first iPhone's plan was.

On Sprint, with my 25% discount I'll get 450 minutes + unlimited text/MMS + unlimited data + tv/music (whatever that is) + turn by turn navigation + 7pm night and weekends for $52.50 per month plus tax. On AT&T with my 15% discount I get 450 minutes + data + unlimited text for $84 + tax. The iPhone is a great phone, but not worth the extra $30 per month. Some months I need to add 7pm N&W to keep from going over, those months my phone bill will almost be cut by 50% by getting the Pre.

I love my iPhone, I do. I hate AT&T and in this economy I just have the make the practical decision here.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same here. The discount AT&T put on the original iPhone's data plan for everyone was way, way greater than my corp. discount is on the iPhone 3G's data plan.

13. beeh macrumors regular

I feel the same way, I wish my wife wasn't stuck on getting an iPhone. I'd love and iPhone, but really any PDA phone with a good camera is fine with me. I just don't want to pay the extra $~30/month for the iPhone. Maybe their plan prices will be reduced when the new phone is released? There's just too many other PDA type phones out there with cheaper plans...