Corporate Iphone question/ help/ advice please!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by poblack, Mar 31, 2010.

1. poblack macrumors regular

I'll try to make this brief.

My company just switched to AT&T and is now offering iphones to employees. We have a choice between the 8GB 3G or a blackberry.

I already have a 8GB iphone for personal use that I pay out of pocket. I was told I can keep it but my personal ATT account would have to be terminated and my cell number would be transferred to the company's account and they would own it. I would own my phone however.

Or I could get a new 8GB from them but they would own the phone.

The dilemma is that I want to get the new iphone that's coming out in June. What are my options? Keep in mind that the 8 GB 3G is the only iphone my employer is getting and that I have to let them know what my intentions are now.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get the 3G from your work.
    Then when your personal line is eligable for an upgrade you can get the new iphone and just put in whatever sim you want after that.

3. poblack thread starter macrumors regular

^ Then I would have two iphones. The goal is to have the new iphone under my employers account.

You bring up a point. If I opt to use my phone and get it transferred, could I then take out the sim card and put it in the new iphone?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, all you'll need to do is stick the sim in the new iphone.
    Maybe sell your old iphone and put the money towards the purchase of the new one thats comming out and then put whatever AT&T sim you want to use inside.

5. poblack thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

So I wouldn't have to activate a new iphone like I did with my 3G. I would just drop in the new sim and it would work?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will work with any AT&T sim with no probs.
    And since you'll already have an iphone plan it would be perfect.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

AT&T will know what phone you have

So your employer can also easily check. If it a big deal to them that you have the 3g or bb then it could become a problem for them. You have about 4 months to warm them up to the new phone I'd work on that.

8. poblack thread starter macrumors regular

It's not a big deal if I have a 3G or Blackberry because that's what they are offering me from the start. Will they be able to tell if I have a 3G or the new 4th generation Iphone if I switch the sim?

9. ineedamac macrumors 6502

OP I think you wrote that you could keep your iPhone but your personal account would be terminated?

If that is the case I'd see if I could use my personal iPhone for now (in which case your account would be canceled per your comments) and then if I can get the company to give me the $99 towards the new iPhone that should be coming out in June/July. Buy the new one with your own money and their $99.

Keep the old iPhone 3G to use an an iPod/backup iPhone and to give back to the company should my employment end for whatever reason. :eek:

10. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

You should find out more about the corporate policy for phones. We require that an admin has the ability to access and wipe the device at any time, for security purposes. If this is fine with you, using your own device, and coporate is fine with that, you should be good with swapping out the SIM. Our policy is that we only allow coporate issued phones for empoyees.

EDIT: Read your post again, and I see that corporate said that you can keep it. I would just find out about the remote access and wipe and take that into consideration.