Corporate Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by golfnut1996, Sep 4, 2008.

  1. golfnut1996 macrumors newbie

    Aug 27, 2008
    Okay, so here's the deal. I know this has probably been chatted about before, but it's somewhat different :eek:

    I am an IT Manager in a small healthcare setting. I am currently using my personal MB, and love it. I have the new budget, and can purchase laptops for my group. Most want an HP w/XP. I obviously want the Mac. I thought about the MBP, but it's a little heavy, and a little over budget for me [cap is $1500/USD]. So I figured the MB. So, do I:

    1. Wait it out for the new MB?
    2. Buy the Current white 2.4, Maxed out?
    3. Buy the base Black?

    Any guidance appreciated...

  2. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    Given that all of the "signs in the wind" appear to point to fairly significant updates and/or changes in the Apple line-up, you would probably be advised to wait, to see what is unveiled at the Apple events planned for next week, and after that. If you don't like what is on offer, refurbs - often available at a generous discount and complete with Apple warranties and the possibility to add Applecare - will also be an option.

    The other suggestion I would offer is this: you say that your staff prefer XP. It is probably what they are used to, and unexpected change might make them uncomfortable. If you are to make the switch to Mac, I would suggest that you include Office for Mac at the very least, and possibly Bootcamp in order to run Windows on the Macs which you purchase, which might make it all easier for those with whom you work. Staff don't usually take very kindly to fundamental changes such as this, especially if they feel they have no input, or they feel they are being asked to master a system with which they are completely unfamiliar.

    I'm a recent switcher, and I love my MBP, but to say it was a seamless change would be a lie; it wasn't seamless, and it was voluntary on my part.

    Cheers and good luck
  3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816


    Aug 16, 2008
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
    Most of the changes from what everyone hears is cosmetic and maybe a few other things. I highly doubt it will be a significant upgrade(well if you like aluminum better then I guess it would be) until next year.
  4. golfnut1996 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I am currently running Office 08 on mine, and I'm very impressed. I'll take note of your suggestions, and try it myself before letting them make the leap.

    I'll also wait until after next week too. Makes sense, since it's only a few days away. One thing? When Apple releases a new notebook, or system line, do they usually have enough in stock? I heard about the iPhone debacle, and them not having enough. My fear is that they could release a new system in 2 weeks, but it could be over a month before we could get them due to the high demand...Didn't know how their track record was in this area.


Share This Page