Correct adaptor for higher resolution displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 12dylan34, May 10, 2014.

1. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Hi there, I hope that this is the appropriate forum.

I've been using an early 2008 aluminum MacBook Pro, but will be upgrading to a retina MacBook Pro in the next month or so. I also use an HP 2560x1440 display with my laptop, and I want to be able to do the same with my new rMBP.

With my old MBP, I'm able to just plug the DVI right into the side, but I know that the rMBP doesn't have such a port, only Thunderbolt/MiniDisplayPort.

Right now, I have a MiniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor on hand, but I'm unsure as to whether or not this will support the higher resolution display that I use. This http://www.amazon.com/CNE11274-Disp...acBook/dp/B003BHHIA4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

is what I've got if that's any help.

Basically, I just want to know if this will work for 2560x1440. I've seen DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adaptors that require a USB port, which leads me to believe that what I have might not work. If not, I'll just buy a ThunderBolt to DisplayPort cable, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Does your monitor have DisplayPort? If so, a MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable will work.

If not, you have to get a MDP to Dual-Link DVI adapter.

This thread from earlier today might also be of interest.

3. 12dylan34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, my monitor has a DisplayPort connection, as well as Dual-Link DVI. So from my understanding, the adaptor that I linked to in my OP won't support the full resolution, even though the bare Dual-Link DVI plugged directly into my (early 2008) MBP does?

So basically, it comes down to Mini DisplayPort not supporting Dual-Link DVI without an extra USB port, I guess?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The dual-link DVI adaptor also plugs into USB for power reasons.

However if the monitor supports DisplayPort, use that - all you need is a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The adapter that you showed is a just a regular (single port) DVI cable. To support the higher resolution, you need dual link DVI.

As mentioned... the better solution would be to use a mini-display port to display port cable... which is just a simple passive cable. I bought one from PCH Cables who sell online to connect to my Dell U2711 display port adapter. It worked fine.

The other option is to use a mini-display port to Dual Link DVI adapter. This is an active adapter. The primary purpose of the USB connector is to provide power to the internal circuitry. I have used these as well, but I prefer a passive MDP to DP cable as mentioned in the previous paragraph.

/Jim

6. 12dylan34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The DisplayPort cable is what I'm going to go with. Far cheaper than that huge MDP to Dual-Link DVI adaptor anyway. Thanks for the help!