Correct adaptor for higher resolution displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 12dylan34, May 10, 2014.

  1. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 3, 2009
    Hi there, I hope that this is the appropriate forum.

    I've been using an early 2008 aluminum MacBook Pro, but will be upgrading to a retina MacBook Pro in the next month or so. I also use an HP 2560x1440 display with my laptop, and I want to be able to do the same with my new rMBP.

    With my old MBP, I'm able to just plug the DVI right into the side, but I know that the rMBP doesn't have such a port, only Thunderbolt/MiniDisplayPort.

    Right now, I have a MiniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor on hand, but I'm unsure as to whether or not this will support the higher resolution display that I use. This

    is what I've got if that's any help.

    Basically, I just want to know if this will work for 2560x1440. I've seen DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adaptors that require a USB port, which leads me to believe that what I have might not work. If not, I'll just buy a ThunderBolt to DisplayPort cable, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Thanks!
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    Does your monitor have DisplayPort? If so, a MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable will work.

    If not, you have to get a MDP to Dual-Link DVI adapter.

    This thread from earlier today might also be of interest.
  3. 12dylan34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Sep 3, 2009
    Thanks for the reply.

    Yeah, my monitor has a DisplayPort connection, as well as Dual-Link DVI. So from my understanding, the adaptor that I linked to in my OP won't support the full resolution, even though the bare Dual-Link DVI plugged directly into my (early 2008) MBP does?

    So basically, it comes down to Mini DisplayPort not supporting Dual-Link DVI without an extra USB port, I guess?
  4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040


    Sep 8, 2011
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    The dual-link DVI adaptor also plugs into USB for power reasons.

    However if the monitor supports DisplayPort, use that - all you need is a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.
  5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

    Aug 9, 2009
    Portland, OR
    The adapter that you showed is a just a regular (single port) DVI cable. To support the higher resolution, you need dual link DVI.

    As mentioned... the better solution would be to use a mini-display port to display port cable... which is just a simple passive cable. I bought one from PCH Cables who sell online to connect to my Dell U2711 display port adapter. It worked fine.

    The other option is to use a mini-display port to Dual Link DVI adapter. This is an active adapter. The primary purpose of the USB connector is to provide power to the internal circuitry. I have used these as well, but I prefer a passive MDP to DP cable as mentioned in the previous paragraph.

  6. 12dylan34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Sep 3, 2009
    The DisplayPort cable is what I'm going to go with. Far cheaper than that huge MDP to Dual-Link DVI adaptor anyway. Thanks for the help!

Share This Page