Correct forum for connectivity issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LordBlarg, Mar 16, 2016.

1. LordBlarg macrumors newbie

Hi:

New here. Can someone please tell me which forum would be best for posting a wi-fi connectivity issue with my Macbook?

Thanks
    LordBlarg

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Seems like this one would be fine, were you told differently?

3. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I agree, here should be fine. What's your question?

4. LordBlarg thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see. I have never posted here before, so I was just checking. Here's the issue:

I have a 2010 macbook running OS X 10.9.5. When I try to connect to the Net via wi-fi, I get full bars but my browsers will only load https sites. This happens regardless of the browser I use, and the problem is confined to only one location, which is a cafe' I like to go to. Anywhere else, my wi-fi works perfectly. I used to be able to connect fine at this specific cafe previously as well, and then one day this problem just started happening. As I like to go to this place frequently, it's really getting in the way.

I have tried removing my wi-fi and then re-installing it in the Network preferences. That worked exactly once and then the problem recurred the next time I went to the cafe. Any ideas on how I can make it stop?

Thanks
    LB

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds like a firewall setting in the cafe you use.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Do you have any kind of anti-virus or security software running? Not sure about any Mac ones but some of those can restrict traffic.

7. LordBlarg thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I have no security or anti-virus software running. As the location where this occurs is a very popular cafe where many people are accessing the wi-fi with no trouble, I assume there is some setting I inadvertently changed on my mac, but I don't know what it could be.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It's weird that it's only at that one wifi hotspot. I can imagine it happening everywhere if you use something like SSL Enforcer. And if others aren't experiencing it at the same spot then there's more confusion.

Try another, new User Account when you're there just to see what happens. What you're assuming may very well be the issue, but it seems like it would have to be in conjunction with something happening at the wifi hotspot connection.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote:
    "I used to be able to connect fine at this specific cafe previously as well, and then one day this problem just started happening. As I like to go to this place frequently, it's really getting in the way. "
    "I assume there is some setting I inadvertently changed on my mac, but I don't know what it could be."

Perhaps it was a setting that THEY changed.
    Have you tried asking at the cafe? Someone there must maintain the internet/routers, you should talk to him/her.

Also, Brian made a good suggestion above.
    That is, create a NEW, "empty" account on your MacBook, for "test purposes only".
    Does it? Can you connect ok using the test account?

Final thought:
    You said above that your MacBook still works fine in OTHER cafes, and only has a problem at this particular one.
    If you aren't able to resolve it to your satisfaction, I suggest that you consider "taking your business elsewhere" (seriously).

10. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Fishrrman is correct, check all your variables first, once you've disproved those, then the only constant remaining is the issue.

11. LordBlarg thread starter macrumors newbie

All right. I'll give that a shot the next time I'm there and see how it works.

Thanks
    -=LB=-