iPhone Correct me if I'm wrong...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Z8beema, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

But there's no way to take a panorama in landscape mode on the native camera app right? I just don't understand why there isn't a way to do this. IMO it makes a lot more sense to take a panorama landscape rather than portrait.

2. GreyOS, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

What's your specific need that you think landscape will fulfil?

The reason it's done in portrait is so that it's the maximum resolution possible.

e.g. Say a panorama is 4:1 (4 times wider than it is tall). The sensor on the iPhone in landscape is 4:3. If you add two landscapes together, that's 8:3. Add a third, that's 12:3, or 4:1. So you can think of the panorama as made of 3 8 megapixel photos (if iPhone 5). Now if it was portrait, the sensor is 3:4. 2 pics side by side = 6:4, 3 = 9:4, 4 =12:4, 5 = 15:4. A little bit more will make 16:4 which is 4:1. So a panorama of the same aspect ratio is made of 3 photos if done in landscape and 5 and a bit photos if done portrait. The latter method has more detail.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Have you even taken a panorama picture.........?

Based on your post, it sounds like you haven't.

4. white4s macrumors 65816

agreed. panorama doesn't need landscape mode

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

It might seem like it might be more convenient somehow, but it's actually not as practical nor as good.

6. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Thanks for the comment it was very helpful.

P.s. Yah I have

----------

Second most helpful comment on this forum goes to you... Thanks a bunch

----------

In all seriousness thank you for your comment it now makes a lot more sense to me. I just found it easier to take a panorama with an older phone I had and personally think taking any picture in landscape feels better in the hands rather than taking it in portrait. It makes a lot of sense though to get the maximum resolution

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No there is not. The reason is because of the additional UI to guide you through taking a panorama photo. It has to go somewhere. And since by its nature a panorama is an extended landscape mode photo anyway how you shoot it is a tad moot.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hmm the ui would fit either way. It's to do with the sensor.