Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
I am considering buying off Craiglist a good condition MLC82LL/A stainless steel series 1 black Apple Watch. The seller showed me the supposed original box packaging for the watch. Rather than the square big box, the box he showed was the slim elongated box typically used in the aluminum version. I thought all stainless steel versions used the big box. Are there different box packaging versions for this watch model?

I looked up Google images for examples, but I can't tell for sure.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Just to expand a bit on what Andrew said, there are now three "series" of Apple Watch:
1) Apple Watch (the original; sometimes called the first generation, or "series 0," although none of these are marked on the Watch). Came in aluminum and stainless steel (silver and black). Apple Watch Edition was gold.

2) Series 1 (second generation internals). Comes in aluminum only in four colors (space grey, silver, gold, and rose gold). "Series 1" is marked on the underside of the Watch.

3) Series 2 (second generation internals; also supports GPS on-watch and is waterproof ("water resistant to 50 meters" by Apple marketing)). Comes in aluminum in four colors (space grey, silver, gold, and rose gold) and stainless steel (silver and black). Apple Watch Edition is ceramic. "Series 2" is marked on the underside of the Watch.

What becomes confusing is differentiating a first-generation Watch from a Series 1 Watch, as I've seen many sellers and others refer to a first-generation Watch as "Series 1" when "Series 1" is actually a second-generation Watch and is of the same product generation as "Series 2."

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Thank you to both of you, AndrewR23 and Ledgem.

You both saved me from buying that watch. Not sure if the seller was just naive and miscalling the first gen watch as series 1 watch. At a minimum, that seller lied about the refurb condition since it came in the slim box.

There is no series 1 SS.

Its either first gen or series 2. Refurb SS watches come in the slim box.

That model number is a first gen black ss.

Just to expand a bit on what Andrew said, there are now three "series" of Apple Watch:
1) Apple Watch (the original; sometimes called the first generation, or "series 0," although none of these are marked on the Watch). Came in aluminum and stainless steel (silver and black). Apple Watch Edition was gold.

2) Series 1 (second generation internals). Comes in aluminum only in four colors (space grey, silver, gold, and rose gold). "Series 1" is marked on the underside of the Watch.

3) Series 2 (second generation internals; also supports GPS on-watch and is waterproof ("water resistant to 50 meters" by Apple marketing)). Comes in aluminum in four colors (space grey, silver, gold, and rose gold) and stainless steel (silver and black). Apple Watch Edition is ceramic. "Series 2" is marked on the underside of the Watch.

What becomes confusing is differentiating a first-generation Watch from a Series 1 Watch, as I've seen many sellers and others refer to a first-generation Watch as "Series 1" when "Series 1" is actually a second-generation Watch and is of the same product generation as "Series 2."

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You both saved me from buying that watch. Not sure if the seller was just naive and miscalling the first gen watch as series 1 watch. At a minimum, that seller lied about the refurb condition since it came in the slim box.

It happens a lot on eBay and Craigslist where the seller will accidentally post the Apple Watch as the wrong model. Usually the first generation Apple Watch is misconstrued as Series one or vice versa. If you are ever unsure, always request the serial number and Apple can verify which model it is that you are seeking to purchase.

And all stainless models will come in a square box that will include a plastic hard case. The Series 1 sport models arrive in an elongated style rectangular box, with no hard plastic case.

It used to be when the Apple Watch sport model first launched, it included a hard plastic case in a rectangular box, but that since changed with Series 1/2 Sport models that no longer include the plastic box as the stainless model has.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL

To be real clear the Series 1 is First Generation internals WITH a replaced SIP CPU (W1P) to a dual core processor. The processing power is at the same level as the Series 2 BUT everything else is First Generation.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Misnaming used Apple watches is widespread. Apple confused many by naming a 2nd gen model Series 1.
Series 1 and Series 2 have their name stamped on back.
I wouldn't pay much for the original version, SS or alum.
If you can get the serial #, Apple will verify model, warranty and Unlock status.
Good luck shopping.

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
I guess I Kind of lucked out. I had an original. My screen detached and I got it replaced. They sent me a series 1. If they come out with a Series 3 this year, I may try and sell the series 1 and upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.