Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BudVitoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm running OS X 10.6.8, and somewhere along the way I screwed up the name that identifies my iMac in the Finder/Sidebar/Shared group of entries.

How do I change it?

Last edited:

BudVitoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No joy

Nice writeup! Did I miss something, or did you not deal with the "Shared" name, which is what I want to change?

As long as I was there, I thought I would try changing the hard drive's name, but it just bonked at me.

Where, oh where did I go wrong?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
It's the Computer's Name in Sharing. You will have to change the other computer's name.

The items listed under Shared are other devices on your network...

BudVitoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Close. SO close!

I got into the area where I'm supposed to be, and sure enough, it showed my computer's name and underneath it it showed that others can find me on the network (or words to that effect) at xxx.local, where xxx = the computer name, with the space squeezed out, and the "'s" dropped, and hyphen inserted. So far all looks good. BUT

I get into Finder and "Bud Vitoff's iMac" shows up under Shared as "butvitoffmac". (No typos)

I'm really not trying to be difficult.

And what's the bit about the other computer's name? No problem there. That's my daughter's machine and it generated the .local name just the way it says it would.

Do you think the apostrophe s is messing it up? I'd be happy to take it out of the computer name.

Last edited:

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Did you change the name in the Computer Name field and press return/enter?

If so, disconnect from the network and reconnect.

Is it showing the name of your Mac on your shared list?

Can you screenshot the Finder window for us?

BudVitoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Finder screen shot attached

Okay, now I'll go back and change the computer name -- or my name, whichever is easier.

Attachments

• Finder Window.jpg
    Finder Window.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 47

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Um....that blue screen means it's a Windows computer...

Where in your house are you running Windows with that name?

BudVitoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not Windows

Better now? The other partition on the iMac is Win7, as is my daughter's PC on the network. I kinda doubt they're bothering us.:)

Note that I changed the computer name.

Attachments

• Not Windows.jpg
    Not Windows.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
If it is showing up under your shared list, it is not your current client. It is either another computer or your computer in Windows.

It would seem to me that the network believes you're still running Windows at the moment.

Have you tried connecting to the folder? Tell us what happens if you try.

BudVitoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Okay, now you're starting to lose me, or scare me, or both.

My daughter's machine went to sleep, so it's not showing on my shared list; and believe me, this partition knows nothing about the other partition, although I do have public folders available to both sides. But considering that I have to re-boot to switch partitions, I could bet a dime or two that that's not the problem.

I was programming mainframes for about 50 years and got out just when client-server got popular, so I don't talk about them very easily. What do you mean here?

If you mean clicking on the name under Sharing, I get "Connection failed".

Last edited:

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
It's another operating system or device on your network, at least that's how it looks.

What happens if you disconnect from your home network?

BudVitoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dummy! You can't use her mouse on your machine!

I just woke up her PC, and she shows the same three that I do: hers, mine, and the external drive.

At the moment, I don't know how to disconnect from the network with software. I could pull the plug. Alzheimer's coming up.

What I'd really like to know is how to refresh this screen sp I don't have to back up one level.

----------

Sees my folders and public stuff.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Just unplugging the cable will work.

The "Shared" list is other computers on your network.

The "Places" list is your computer and yours alone.

BudVitoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Well, I'll be darned!

By chance, I powered down both the Mac and the PC last night. When it came up just now, it confirmed your statement: The mysterious other thing with the strange name is gone. (I don't like things that go bump in the night!) I'm glad you posted, otherwise I could have been stewing about that for some time.

Incidentally, the PC does show all three items under "Network": The Mac (with the correct name), the external hard drive, and itself.

Thanks much for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.