Correct password not being accepted at login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blutackey, Mar 8, 2011.

1. blutackey macrumors newbie

Hello
    I have had troubles with logging in after installing snow leopard. I have an intel iMac plastic body. Firstly I wanted to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard. The install failed and the boot up was stuck at the apple logo with the spinning circle below it.

I then tried to install Snow Leopard over the top of it which worked fine, I set up a new user and password and it logged in and all the old files from the old tiger username were archived in the Users folder. I then did a system update, updating everything it said and after rebooting it would not accept the password I set up.

I have since tried booting into the Snow Leopard disc and changing the password for both the username I set up and root, neither which works at login.

I have also tried booting into single user mode and resetting it that way and even after I have typed the new password, after I reboot, the password does not work.

I also tried to delete the AppleSetupDone file using single user mode, but I don't think it worked properly as when I rebooted it went straight to a grey screen and was stuck on that.

Because of that, I then tried to reinstall Snow Leopard and after it reboots, it goes straight to the login screen where the old username I set up on the original install is still there and still doesn't work. It also installs without asking me whether I want to migrate data or anything like that, it just has the blue progress bar moving along and when that is done it reboots and goes straight to the login screen.

This is a really strange one, I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. mmulin macrumors 6502

Perhaps your login window is set to using a different keymap?

3. blutackey thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried a different keyboard if that's what you mean. I have also manually typed various usernames by selecting the "other" field below the username I want and then typing in the username and password.

4. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Thankfully your issues is easy to resolve:
    Steps:
    1.) Restart using you OS install disc
    2.) Select from the menu reset password
    3.) Select new password (you do not need the old one)
    4.) Reboot and test

Cheers