MP 7,1 Correct position for the internal dual SSD blades in MP7,1 ?

bxs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Subject: Correct position for the internal dual SSD blades in MP7,1 ?

If the MP7,1 has two internal Apple installed SSD blades, and at some point are removed, is it important to place them back in their original locations ?

Thanks... :)

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
I wouldn't mess with them , knowing Apple's fetish for optimizing components in specific interfaces . If you lose the ability of those factory NAND package(s) to handshake with T2 , your Mac will no longer start up . It's where your boot ROM is after all . And if your Mac loses that handshake , it's off to the Apple Store for you .

By the way , not all MP7,1 have two NAND packages installed . Some , like mine , only have one ( 256 GB ) . The NAND packages also are interleaved , if there are two installed .

bxs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yes, I'm aware some MP7,1s have a single SSD blade. My concern is that if a single SSD blade or the two SSD blades were to be removed for whatever reason, how important is it to place them back in their original locations ?

I've seen videos where the author has removed the SSD blades for allowing viewers' to see them, but they never replace them, so I'm wondering!

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
With all the processor experiments I made with my MP7,1 , I'm amazed it hasn't required servicing by Apple already . When something crucial doesn't pass an internal check with a hardware configuration , you get a Mac with a solid white activity light , consuming a steady 100 W or so at the wall and no usable HIDs .

If you want to experiment with this , just mark the two NAND packages with an unique name with a magic marker and install them in a reversed configuration . When you start her up again , hopefully it won't lock down your Mac 😗 . You're playing around with a security handshake , after all . Please let us know what happens !

Last edited:

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
... or reformat the SSD.
And I've told ppl a million times ... never , ever place data on a boot device. Just place the OS and apps there . If you lose those , it's relatively easy to recover .

Of course , every Mac these days comes from the factory with as many drives as you like , as long as your choice is "one ."

Place your data on some other drive and back up , back up and back up like tomorrow is WW3 .

By the way , I'm pretty certain optical discs will have a greater chance of surviving than other types of storage in an EMP event . So your archiving strategy should include plenty of shiny little discs ( especially Verbatim M-discs ) and ... cans of baked beans and bags of rice .

Anything magnetic is toast .

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
And I've told ppl a million times ... never , ever place data on a boot device. Just place the OS and apps there . If you lose those , it's relatively easy to recover .

Of course , every Mac these days comes from the factory with as many drives as you like , as long as your choice is "one ."

Place your data on some other drive and back up , back up and back up like tomorrow is WW3 .

By the way , I'm pretty certain optical discs will have a greater chance of surviving than other types of storage in an EMP event . So your archiving strategy should include plenty of shiny little discs ( especially Verbatim M-discs ) and ... cans of baked beans and bags of rice .

Anything magnetic is toast .
In addtion to redundant RAID, local mirrors, and cloud backups - I also backup to 2.5" USB drives and keep those in a safe deposit box at the bank downtown. There's a lot of steel around those drives, they'd probably survive any likely EMP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.