Correct procedure when upgrading iOS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RolledUp20s, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have the 4S, latest iOS & jailbroken.
    When the next iOS is released i might upgrade if seems to increase battery performance. So then I'd just have to wait for the JB update...which I can live with.

So would I just update iOS as I normally would? This then removing my jailbrake? I have used pkgbackup and synced with iTunes contacts... Would that conflict with anything? Or will it just be there for the future jailbrake when I do it again?

This is my first time jailbraking, just wanna make sure all will be ok if I update

2. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Upgrading will remove your jailbreak, but most of the stuff will still be there, and may cause trouble if you do not jailbreak again. When you jailbroke most of the build-in apps were moved from the system partition to the user partition (/private/var/stash) to make space for jailbreak stuff. It will not get removed (at least there was a lot of old stuff left there when I upgraded my jailbroken iPhone 4 from 5.0 to 5.0.1).

It is much better to click Restore and restore from a backup. That will remove everything except perhaps a configuration file or two, usually harmless.

However, IT IS UNLIKELY THAT A JAILBREAK FOR 5.1 WILL BECOME AVAILABLE ON THE 4S. Or at least you cannot count on it. Considering how long it took to jailbreak 5.0 / 5.0.1 in the first place, it does not look promising. Not only do they need to find a vulnerability to jailbreak the kernel at boot (the "untether"), but on the 4S they need an additional vulnerabilty to install the jailbreak. On the 4 there is a bootrom exploit available that Apple cannot patch, making the task an order of magnitude easier.

You may have to choose between possibly better battery life (will it truly be better) and the jailbreak. And remember, on a 4S there is no downgrade path from 5.1 to 5.0.1, once you have upgraded it is too late to go back.

3. solo118 macrumors 65816

I concur, just do restore from itunes (backup first of course)

I did my upgrade OTA before the JB was released, and it was a breeze. Took less time than it would on itunes.

When 5.1 drops, I am certainly going to stay away as I rather have the JB.