Correct Resolution for External Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dups12345, Jul 9, 2013.

1. dups12345 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have had a search online and on here for help with this but have been unable to find anything so I am hoping you can help. I have a 27" iMac from mid2010. Currently running Lion (10.7.5) with a ATI Radeon HD 5670 Graphic Card.

I also have a 22" HP monitor (HP w2207h) which I use as an external display. This is connected via and HDMI cable using a Griffn adaptor.

It is connected and working but the image is not perfect and whatever setting I put it on it either does not work at all or looks wrong. I currently have it on 1080p (50 Hertz).

The screen itself says its recommend settings are 1680x1050 - 60Hertz. Sadly this option is not on the display settings on my Mac.

Is there a way I can download drivers for this so I can get it looking nice or if not any tips to get it less vomit inducing?

Thanks in advance!

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I feel like the HDMI input is the reason why it's acting up. I've had this happen when I used to try to plug my TV into my Mac Mini. What other ports are on your display? I would try to plug it in using the Mini DisplayPort to DVI.

3. dups12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly the monitor does not have DVI :(. It does have VGA but thats not an ideal view.

I agree that the most likely cause is the HDMI part. didn't know it was a simply case of downloading drivers.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My suggestion:

Get a MiniDisplayport-to-VGA adapter cable, and connect to the display via the VGA connector.

I think that there will be a much better chance of you getting the proper 1680x1040 @ 60hz resolution, if you do it that way...

5. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Agreed. They are $30 at Apple Stores.