Correct trackpad to purchase.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamesP., Jul 5, 2012.

1. JamesP. macrumors regular

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Seems right. Your model number is A1286, which is listed, so it should fit.

----------

On a second note, he has 2011 listed in the title but mentions only 2009/2010 in the description. I would contact the seller to confirm.

3. JamesP. thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks, out of interest, how do you know which model numbers are which?

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You can tell the model number by looking at the bottom panel of your computer.

If you're wondering how he knew I think all of the MacBooks in each generation have the same model number, only the 'XXyyyXX/X' (x being letters and y being numbers) model numbers change.

(previously erroneous information deleted)

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well the design model is the same, the model for your specification will be something like MD322LL/A.

6. JamesP. thread starter macrumors regular

7. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

8. JamesP. thread starter macrumors regular

I was told by registered apple service repair in Ireland it wasnt covered.

I know I have my warranty for the next 5months, but they say the crack on touchpad is not covered on warranty.

I thought it would be myself.,
    My charger also unravelled at the bottom and was told that is not covered under applecare :(

9. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

If you were in the U.S, they would have replaced both the trackpad and charger. I would call AppleCare again and talk to them instead of taking it into a registered apple service repair. Or try an Apple Store, these repair shops have awful service from what I've read.

10. JamesP. thread starter macrumors regular

There is no apple store in Ireland, however I am travelling to manchester in 2months, would they need to see the laptop if it was only the charger i am replacing?

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

They shouldn't, but it would be a good idea to bring the laptop along (or at least the serial number) so they can verify the charger is still under the factory warranty. (I don't think chargers have serial numbers on them, do they?)

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I believe the chargers do have serial numbers but apple doesn't in any way track them. You MUST bring in your MacBook to verify warranty to have a charger replaced. Some stores are more lenient and may just replace it outright without even asking.

13. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

They do need it. They need to link the new adapter's serial number to the computer's serial number. Or at least that's what we have to do in our repair center.

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Interesting, thanks for the information. Looks like it's a good idea to bring in the laptop as well like I said then :)

FWIW, I had several malfunctioning plastic Apple Remotes replaced well after the alu ones had come out (so it's not like they were guaranteed to be in the warranty period) and they didn't need to check any serial numbers for that, though it is of course a much cheaper product than a charger.

15. JamesP. thread starter macrumors regular

K, il bring it with me so.

I might ring the store beforehand maybe and see, or do they need to check charger etc 1st?