correct way of closing an app

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ZuneMan?, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ZuneMan?, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Yes the correct way to close an App is to press the home button. No they do not run in the background, they are saved (only some) until you go back to the app.

3. ZuneMan? thread starter macrumors regular

I've read that this only minimizes the app and doesnt completely close it. And this could eat some of your battery.

4. Walt DI macrumors member

No, if its not jailbroke then the only thing that can run in the background is music

5. SteveSimpkin macrumors newbie

"I've read that this only minimizes the app and doesnt completely close it. And this could eat some of your battery."

The Mail, Safari and iPod apps that come with the Touch will be running in the background after they are launched the first time after powering up the Touch. After using any of these 3 apps, hold down the Home button until they exit to stop them from running in the background. These apps are optimized for background operation so I don't believe they significantly affect battery life. They do use memory however. Turning off WiFi, Push and Location Services (and exiting any running app) will help with battery life when in standby.

None of the apps in the app store are allowed to run in the background so you only need the long Home button press if they hang.

The SysStats Lite app displays the memory usage status and current running status of these apps and other processes.
    http://appshopper.com/utilities/sysstats-lite

6. three macrumors 6502a

three

Pressing the home button is the only way I know how to close an application on the iPod touch.

7. ZuneMan? thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you sir. You answered my question. :)