Correct way to "clean setup" iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thedeejay, Sep 12, 2013.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

With the launch of iOS 7 next week, what would you guys say would be the "best and correct" way to setup iOS 7. People say setup as new so would that mean I would lose all data except what's synced on iCloud. How does restoring from an iOS 6 backup on iOS 7 compare to a "clean" start.

Cheers
    Deejay

2. joshforman macrumors regular

Your iCloud backup should have just about everything in there so you really should lose anything if you just updated and then try to restore, although I don't know if you can restore a back up from one version to another version.

However I just use something called iBackupBot to restore stuff from one backup profile to the new one that's created. Gives me a chance to start clean, putting less apps on the phone and just getting rid of clutter

3. pixelwix macrumors member

pixelwix

i backup bot doesn't seem to work with iOS 7 when it comes to text messages and camera roll i've tried and i keep getting db errors

4. coolio93 macrumors 6502

5. joshforman macrumors regular

That may not be iOS 7 specific. Sometimes I try to do a clean install the device just to clean it out and I find I can't restore the messages with Eric with errors that it's a comparable wrong version or something. I forget what I saw, but I'm guessing there will be an issue if you're restoring messages database that's from a different version( iOS 6.x) that you're restoring ( iOS 7)

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Howdy! There is no best way. You can set up as a new phone and start bare, restore from an iTunes or iCloud backup, or update. What's best depends on how you want to do it.

Just make sure you have a good backup before you do. :)

7. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

I updated to the GM on my iPhone 5 last night with absolutely no problems. Backed up to iCloud, connected phone to laptop, option restore in iTunes, and it installed iOS 7, then I keyed in my iCloud credentials. I didn't lose any text messages, passwords, voice mails, nothing. It worked perfectly.

8. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I just downloaded the GM and brought over the backup from a previous version (6.1.4) and man it's battery life is a lot better and it runs smoothly!:D