correct way to hold the macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by littleguy92, Nov 27, 2011.

1. littleguy92 macrumors newbie

hi. i bought a macbook yesterday. 13 inch. i want to make sure i look after it, and if it's open and i'm moving room, i hold it with two hands with the screen open. i feel safe doing it that way. anyway, i held it before with one hand, with my hand underneath in the middle, with the screen open.

is it safe doing it that way? or could i damage it that way?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can hold it however you like, it's not made of thin and fragile glass.

Unless you tote it around by the screen with one hand, you're good to go.

3. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

As long as you don't grab it by the screen it really doesn't matter how you hold it.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Unless you have downloads going on or something that you can't have interrupted by "sleep", why not just close the lid? Macbooks wake from sleep so quickly.

Anyways, holding the MB that way won't damage anything, unless you drop it. Much more likely to break it if it's dropped with the screen open. If you drop it with the screen closed, it'll have a much better chance of coming out undamaged.

ft

5. spacedrabbit macrumors member

Im in agreement with the rest, though best practices for a laptop is to move it as little as possible when it is powered on. :D

6. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

be careful around the ethernet jack, which has ridiculously thin aluminum around it and historically has been prone to bending. other than that, as long as you're not running around holding it by the screen, you're fine. although i agree with the poster that said it's easier to just put it to sleep when moving, unless you're actively downloading or using it for something...

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, one more vote to sleeping it before moving it. I don't always follow this advice either, but it is the ideal thing to do.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I just avoid pressing on the Ethernet port and the black WiFi/Bluetooth bar at the back of the computer.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

treat it with respect and it will treat you with respect ;)

11. borisiii macrumors 6502

If you are holding it from the edge (say thumb on top and fingers underneath) I would avoid putting your thumb on the trackpad as the concentrated pressure exerted by your thumb on the glass won't be doing it any good. Otherwise I would say you'll be fine.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

using 2 hands will help avoid disasters ... it is not until something happens that you wish you had held onto it better :apple:

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

No proper way, treat it how you would treat any other laptop. The only downside to treating however you want is the harddrive--if you move it too much [ie: weird angles], it may cause the HD to freeze.

15. happle macrumors 6502a

wrong!

as thunder said. hold it like george clooney holds it

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Have you hold human infant in your life before? If so you will be fine with your MacBook Pro.

17. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I always carry my laptops open, holding onto the top of the screen bezel.

What? :confused::D