correct way to hold the macbook pro?

littleguy92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
hi. i bought a macbook yesterday. 13 inch. i want to make sure i look after it, and if it's open and i'm moving room, i hold it with two hands with the screen open. i feel safe doing it that way. anyway, i held it before with one hand, with my hand underneath in the middle, with the screen open.

is it safe doing it that way? or could i damage it that way?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
hi. i bought a macbook yesterday. 13 inch. i want to make sure i look after it, and if it's open and i'm moving room, i hold it with two hands with the screen open. i feel safe doing it that way. anyway, i held it before with one hand, with my hand underneath in the middle, with the screen open.

You can hold it however you like, it's not made of thin and fragile glass.

Unless you tote it around by the screen with one hand, you're good to go.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Unless you have downloads going on or something that you can't have interrupted by "sleep", why not just close the lid? Macbooks wake from sleep so quickly.

Anyways, holding the MB that way won't damage anything, unless you drop it. Much more likely to break it if it's dropped with the screen open. If you drop it with the screen closed, it'll have a much better chance of coming out undamaged.

ft

spacedrabbit

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Im in agreement with the rest, though best practices for a laptop is to move it as little as possible when it is powered on. :D

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
be careful around the ethernet jack, which has ridiculously thin aluminum around it and historically has been prone to bending. other than that, as long as you're not running around holding it by the screen, you're fine. although i agree with the poster that said it's easier to just put it to sleep when moving, unless you're actively downloading or using it for something...

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yes, one more vote to sleeping it before moving it. I don't always follow this advice either, but it is the ideal thing to do.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
If you are holding it from the edge (say thumb on top and fingers underneath) I would avoid putting your thumb on the trackpad as the concentrated pressure exerted by your thumb on the glass won't be doing it any good. Otherwise I would say you'll be fine.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
using 2 hands will help avoid disasters ... it is not until something happens that you wish you had held onto it better :apple:

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
No proper way, treat it how you would treat any other laptop. The only downside to treating however you want is the harddrive--if you move it too much [ie: weird angles], it may cause the HD to freeze.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles

Have you hold human infant in your life before? If so you will be fine with your MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.