Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goneeuro

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Ok so i have a lenovo s10 net book that has my itunes and iphone 3gs synced to it. I just bought a new mac book pro and want to move everything over to it. So heres my questions. My iphone is 3.1.2 JB with blackrain. The new computer has itunes 9.1. what is the best way to move all my stuff and sync my iphone to it without causing issues and loseing my jailbreak. I want to start syncing the iphone to the new macbook pro.

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
1. Connect your iPhone to ur mac's itunes, right-click on the phone in the list, and select 'backup'. This will backup all you data.

2. Sign into your iTunes account on the mac, and authorize that iTunes. You can then select 'check for available downloads' under one of the menus (not sure which exactly). This will download all the apps you ever bought in iTunes store to your mac.

3. For media (music, videos), you have to move them to your new computer manually, and re-sync.

4. Select all the appropriate settings like where the contacts will be stored, photos, etc.

5. Sync

6. If you are not going to use ur lenovo anymore, I suggest you select 'deauthorize computer' on your lenovo's iTunes.

gcagora

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
Lose app data?

If you sync with the new machine as the reply indicated, will you lose all of your saved data within your apps?

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
If you sync with the new machine as the reply indicated, will you lose all of your saved data within your apps?

Most likely, since it will be like re-installing all your apps. Another option would be to right-click on the phone in iTunes, and select 'Transfer purchases' before clicking on 'check for available downloads'. This will transfer all the apps on your iPhone to the computer from the phone itself. This might save your app data. Not 100% sure though.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

Most likely, since it will be like re-installing all your apps. Another option would be to right-click on the phone in iTunes, and select 'Transfer purchases' before clicking on 'check for available downloads'. This will transfer all the apps on your iPhone to the computer from the phone itself. This might save your app data. Not 100% sure though.

No, transferring purchases has nothing to do with app data. The only way to get app data is to restore from a backup. The backup has app data.

hoverX

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
These instructions don't work. the apps don't download to the new computer. iTunes tells me to transfer them myself.

why does this have to be such a headache!!?

edit: I think instead of clicking 'check for available downloads' you want to right click on the iphone and select "transfer purchases" i'll let you know how this works when i'm done.

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
No, transferring purchases has nothing to do with app data. The only way to get app data is to restore from a backup. The backup has app data.

Anything else wrong with those instructions? Cause I have not tried them myself yet. I just moved all my apps to my new computer manually from XP to Win 7 RC, but then when it came time to move those files again to the full Win 7, I had so many problems because of Win 7's user accounts that are attached to those files.

hoverX

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
i think the easiest way to move apps is the 'transfer purchases' route. but of course that doesn't move apps you own but aren't currently on your iPhone.

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
i think the easiest way to move apps is the 'transfer purchases' route. but of course that doesn't move apps you own but aren't currently on your iPhone.

Exactly. I have a lot of purchases on my iTunes, but not on my phone.

ordan77

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
When I did the move from XP to 7-RC, and then from 7-RC to 7-RTM, all I did was:

1. Ensure 'old' system has current version of iTunes installed
2. Sync iPhone with iTunes on 'old' system
3. Install current version of iTunes on 'new' system
4. Copy 'iTunes Media' directory from 'old' system to 'new' system
5. 'Authorize Computer' on 'new' system
6. 'De-authorize Computer' on 'old' system
7. Sync iPhone with iTunes on 'new' system

That worked for me, but of course, YMMV...

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
When I did the move from XP to 7-RC, and then from 7-RC to 7-RTM, all I did was:

1. Ensure 'old' system has current version of iTunes installed
2. Sync iPhone with iTunes on 'old' system
3. Install current version of iTunes on 'new' system
4. Copy 'iTunes Media' directory from 'old' system to 'new' system
5. 'Authorize Computer' on 'new' system
6. 'De-authorize Computer' on 'old' system
7. Sync iPhone with iTunes on 'new' system

That worked for me, but of course, YMMV...

I did the exact same thing, but iTunes kept giving me an error message (dont remember what exactly, something to do with the library and permissions) until i deleted the 'iTunes library.itl' file. Never had that problem moving from XP to 7 RC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.