Corrected iMac "freezer" poll based on manufacture dates

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SaSaSushi, Nov 4, 2007.

?

What is the manufacture date of your aluminum iMac and does it have freezing issues?

1. NO PROBLEMS - Early August 2007 iMac

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. NO PROBLEMS - Late August 2007 iMac

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. NO PROBLEMS - Early September 2007 iMac

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. NO PROBLEMS - Late September 2007 iMac

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. NO PROBLEMS - Early October 2007 iMac

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. NO PROBLEMS - Late October 2007 iMac

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  7. FREEZER - Early August 2007 iMac

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. FREEZER - Late August 2007 iMac

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. FREEZER - Early September 2007 iMac

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. FREEZER - Late September 2007 iMac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. FREEZER - Early October 2007 iMac

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  12. FREEZER - Late October 2007 iMac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I am creating a new poll based on iMac manufacture dates rather than purchase date as I feel this data is far more relevant.

You can check the build place and date of your iMac by either entering your serial number here:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Note that this page seems to incorrectly misidentify the build year as 1997 instead of 2007 but aside from that the data appears to be correct.

or you can download the following app:

http://coconut-flavour.com/coconutidentitycard/index.html

Either of these only gives you a manufacture "week" and for the purposes of this poll I used the first day of the week for my own machine manufactured 8/13-8/19 which I classified as an early August 2007 iMac.

EDIT: I just realized by a post from someone in the thread that inspired this poll that of course Apple was manufacturing the aluminum iMacs as early as late July to ramp up for the 8/7/07 release. I can't see any way to edit the poll now so I suppose if you have a machine manufactured in late July that you should just choose "Early August 2007 iMac" above.

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Sorry but I dont really see how yet another poll about this is going to prove anything. We already know that the earliest produced iMacs freeze, as well as iMacs purchased as recently as last week.

3. SaSaSushi thread starter macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

That's the beauty of polls in forums like these. Participation is totally voluntary. You don't have to vote if you don't want to or don't see any value in doing so.

Yes, we know that there are "freezers" in both early iMacs as well very recent ones. I suppose I was trying to see if there was a preponderance of freezing machines in one time period or other. There is no harm in gathering the data at any rate. It's all a crapshoot at this point as to what is going on, what the problem is and how Apple is eventually going to solve it.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Coconut ID says my iMac was manufactured between August 6 - August 12. No freezing problems here.

5. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

How many posts about iMac freezing, and iMac problems is it going to take before people just finally give up, and accept the fact they should have or need to return it?

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

8. IChing macrumors regular

I really think that the video card itself is the problem

When the iMac is assembled the video cards could come from different batches and placed on the assembly line.
    So even if the iMac is assembled the same week, one iMac could get a good card and another that week could get a bad card. Since there is no way of knowing when and where the video card was manufactured unless we take the machine apart. Then again the LCD screen could be the problem but those would more likely show up in a survey of this type and I'm not seeing that correlation in the data at least for the 20" and even to the 24".

Everything I have read so far in all forums makes me surmise and seems tends to point to a faulty card.

My 20" had freezing problems on Apple only made games but that has stopped with the updated drivers.
    I don't have windows on my iMac yet so I can't say anything from that side of the supposition.

9. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

from what i see, you are less likely to get a freezing mac, and the the results are very inconsistent

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From what I see the sample size is far too small to draw any conclusions whatsoever.

11. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

here is my poll: http://forums.macrumors.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2144
    its pretty much useless since you cant extrepolate the data... easily, you would have to take everyone who marked, "my imac does not freeze", and take em out of the poll, and put them in their own section, seperately, which would take forever