Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yapiddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Hi. I have a Mac, a canon 300D and a canon printer. All the images are coming out with a magenta colour cast. Does anyone have some good ideas as to how to correct this?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Sounds like you're low on ink. Check in your printer utitilities. If that's not it, use the printer utilities to clean the heads.

yapiddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Colour cast

Thanks, but this is a new printer and the colour's only weird when I'm printing out photos - things from word docs are fine. I've tried printing out from iPhoto and Photoshop CS and it's all the same. The photos look washed out and somewhat magenta.:( When I take them to labs, they seem to print out OK. I'd love any further ideas you can come up with!
:). Oh and I've just run a test doc and the nozzles are clean.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Note that many labs will color correct your pictures automagically, so it could be your photos...

Magenta shifts seem far more common on older Epson printers. A friend has had a bear of a time getting everything calibrated just right to get prints from his Epson scanner, monitor and printer to match...

Then again you're on a Mac so color profiles, etc. aren't quite as random as on Windows... :p

B

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If it was me, I'd create a new document with neutral grey colour bars (e.g. RGB 128, 128, 128) without a colour profile in it and print it first to see if it is your pix or not. If that comes out fine, then it's something in your images.

Also, in Photoshop, try ditching any colour profiles in a copy of one of the images, see if that helps.

And check if it does the same thing with a CMYK image rather than an RGB image.

If not, then it's something in the page-setup/print dialogue boxes... check you're using the right printer software or printer description and check all the colour and paper settings

yapiddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
This sounds like a good idea. However, how do you remove the colour profiles - I thought one was automatically assigned to all colour images? I've tried going back to the default in CS, but so sad, no luck. I'd really appreciate more info if possible.

user23

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2006
fnord
yapiddy said:
This sounds like a good idea. However, how do you remove the colour profiles - I thought one was automatically assigned to all colour images? I've tried going back to the default in CS, but so sad, no luck. I'd really appreciate more info if possible.

image > mode > assign profile > Don't Color Manage This Document

have you calibrated your monitor in any way? Could be a source of problem for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.