Correcting tagging your music collection`

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Tech198, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Tech198, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

Tech198 macrumors G5

Hi all..

When tagging your music, and how "accurate" it is, is it true that tagging software does much better if the songs already have meta-data in ?

Basically, how more, or less accurate can tagging software be based on weather exiting meta-data is present? (for example if you used mp3tag in windows to strip out all previous info, including removal of Covert art) and start fresh with a clean library, then running up the software of choice, would it find more accurate matches for songs, than if it it had meta-data to work with previously, even if it all incorrect meta-data ?

Would tagging software like TuneUpMedia, MusicBrainz, or other have more advantage over the cruft it finds otherwise ? Based on the way it does it, I'm guessing it's probably depended software-to-software, and algorithm is users but in general and accuracy i thing some would "play" and based on that.

Thus, meta-data may probably help in addition, but it doesn't really play any important part while tagging since it listens, that's the most accurate..

Or have i got it all wrong ?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

That really depends on how each individual application works.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

I would have thought most software would know what the latest technology, or best effective, and everyone just uses that one, rather than a boat of software/technologies that may/may not always work..

If everyone just used one, (the best one), then it would work.....

by having multiple, that puts the burden on the user on trying to find the best one, or scan across multiple pieces of software to and just hope across all 3 you'll get a near perfect match.. even though by the way, they all reference the same GraceNote from Sony, being the latest... and don't even worry about the free alternative databases, because i've them them and they never work (being community based)

I also can't understand how if u have 2 albums exactly the same, same artists, cover art can be automatically looked up and applied to one album but not the other of a 2 cd set.. since if all comes from Sony anyway.

Why not ? I mean,, you would think since the first cover art is found, then it has it, why can't it just apply it to the other ?

This may be due to how well the software back-end handles this, but i wish there was some sort of 'common ground' that everyone uses, just not "each to their own' so users must do their homework.

4. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I used to use musicbrainz picard for my tagging, but I found that media monkey (great itunes alternative) does a great job as well. That's from the PC side, but I think they have mac versions.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Sounds like you have found yourself a business opportunity. There is a LOT of room for improvement. Many of these apps are written by very small outfits where maybe the authors have day jobs. They do just whatever comes into their head. There is not "best" technology for this. And because of budget they have to relay on public databases.

So as a user you still need to spend a long time editing tag field and double checking the automated apps.

It's best if you do this EVERY time you rip a CD. I find that sen older obscure albums are in Wikipedia and I verify i have the data correct

6. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

seems with every tagging software i've tried, i don't expect any of them to be perfect, but all have at least some annoying issues :-

TuneUpMedia may tag song just fine, but cover art can be problematic especially across the same album (set)

* if it found the image for one, then they have it, yet the other disk/set of the same album it is either missing, or incorrect despite meta data is all ok.

Media Money (Windows) : didn't find any of my songs...

I dunno if i must pay before it gets better or what, but I have a feeling they all have one thing in common, and that would be cover art issues.

Since it all comes from Sony GraceNotes anyway (either all, or in part), then its not their problem, because they have the info correct..