Correlation between signal strength "bars" and numeric?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by hakr100, Dec 12, 2013.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Sitting in my office, I get a reading of -106 for the strength of the Verizon "signal" on my iPhone 5S.

Yet, if I switch to an app in which the numeric doesn't work, I'll get a reading of five "bars," or in the case of the current IOS, five dots.

Five "dots" is a pretty strong signal. But -106 isn't. So...which is accurate and is there any app that shows real signal strength?

2. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uh...yeah. But that page is devoid of relevant content, in re: what I asked. :D

3. dcp10 macrumors 6502

4. phositadc macrumors 6502

Pretty sure the numerical strength is accurate. The dots are basically a meaningless representation. Apple chooses how many dots correspond to what signal strength. Although right now I'm at -86 dbm which is showing as 4 dots. So no idea why your -106 would show as 5.

Tldr rely on the number, not the dots.

5. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

As far as my knowledge goes those dBM numbers are not fixed value for every point on earth ... the bad/good/best range varies from region to region and then from carrier to carrier ... I think there are values like noise etc also which are pushed from the tower to the phone ... so actually that -106 might be the best for that area ... hope I made sense :)

6. dcp10 macrumors 6502

7. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Number > Dots.

I can get -106, reads 5 dots, & 3G. Makes zero sense.

8. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I have resolved the great mystery.

My home office is in the lower part of the house, and part of it is below grade. LTE service here is non-existent. It's pretty miserable generally in the area where we live, unless you happen to be close to a Verizon cell facility that handles LTE. Most of them in our area...do not.

I have a Verizon Network Extender in my office. If I turn off "LTE" on my iPhone 5S, I get voice cell at the "five dot" or a -56 or so dBM signal source.

Turn LTE back on, and the numeric goes to -115 dBM. So, obviously, the read-out on my iPhone is showing me the LTE signal strength when the phone is idle and LTE is switched on.

I seem to recall that LTE is for data only, so when I am using the iPhone as a phone, the strength of the LTE signal is not relevant. Right now, in my office, I've got five dots as my signal strength readout, and it reads as follows:

***** Verizon

Just Verizon...not LTE or 3G.