correo, camino of email, released 0.3 version

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Dec 18, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hmmm interesting. i might have to try this considering how much i love Camino, but the new features in Leopard's Mail client might end up leaving a bit to be desired in such a young offering. but nice to know of at the least. thanks for sharing.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's pretty. I have no desire to transport my gigabytes of mail out of mail.app, but it's nice to see them working on this.

Out of curiousity, why is he using the Gecko/T-Bird engine and not the open-sourced Eudora one?

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

gecko is open source, lol

and Eudora is abandoning its old core and future version of Eudora will be using gecko engine as well.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oops, I'm sorry... for some reason, I had it in my head that this was the other way around, and that they were keeping engine components of Eudora and interface components of TBird, instead of vice versa.

6. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I can think of two reasons:
    1. Gecko is open-source as well.
    2. He (Nick Kreeger) is a Camino/Thunderbird developer (afaik), and hence have lots of knowledge about Gecko already.

7. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Ooh. I like. Thanks for sharing this! I've been trying to find another Apple Mail alternative other than Thunderbird for my grandma since the future of Thunderbird isn't all that clear. I don't want her to get comfortable using Thunderbird and then have to change to something different when Thunderbird development stops, if it does. It's like heck trying to teach her how to use something different after she's gotten used to her current setup.

(The reason I don't teach her how to use Apple Mail is because she's running Panther and the version of Apple Mail in Panther is utter crap.)

8. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

well, thunderbird has better chance of being continuously developed than this one tho.