corrosion + scratching

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Feb 14, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey folks

i have a black agent18 case on my relatively new (3 weeks as of wednesday) iphone. the case has been on since then.

i originally wanted a 16gb/3g(at&t wifi?) phone, but i decided to just get one and sell this one once iphone 2 comes out. concequently, i want to keep it looking nice to get as much resale value as possible to put towards my new phone.

i want to carry it naked, but i am paranoid about corroding scratching the bezel and apple logo with my hands/acts of (a very cruel) god. my old ipod photo was an absolute mess after a few months, and i don't want to lose $100-150 because the phone is damaged.

what do you guys suggest? keep it in the case? carry it naked? i just really dont want to touch the chrome... i dont want to corrode it. :(

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

if you are worried about the chrome, i would put a case on it-- a lot of people do not use cases and have had minor scratches, some haven't had any-- put a case on to ease your mind

3. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

mines naked and pretty thrashed. the screens still beautiful. but the back has scratches. there are times you might be out for some libations, and one might forget what's in their pockets. i know i've forgotten a few times what pocket my phones in and i'll mix it up with keys and loose change and i'll end up with some scratches. i've dropped it a few times and i'm usually pretty careful but, accidents are accidents and they happen. i would definitely keep in a case if you want to resell it later.

the funny thing is, i've never kept very good care of my phones. the first few months i'm usually careful and then i'm over it and don't care anymore.

on the other hand, i keep my computers in mint condition.

4. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

joekix, same here... even my mbp doesn't receive the same caliber of care it did during the first few months... thought it still is my baby ;)

i always keep my phone in its own pocket, even with the hardshell case on it. i also take it out to clean it up with some iklear every few days. heck, i even use a piece of duct tape every week or so to clean the iphone microfiber cloth :p

i don't only do it so i can resell it... it's a $400+ phone... theres no way im not going to baby it.

i still would like to be able to take it out once in a while... will my relatively clean fingers corrode the chrome?

side note: wtf apple. chrome? come on.

5. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

I have had mine since october, and have been carrying it naked, making sure not to have anything metal in the same pocket

it has several very small scratches on the chrome...
    one very very tiny scratch on the apple logo
    and not a single scratch on the screen.

when it comes to reselling, you can always unlock it, and sell it on ebay and probably break even or make a profit!

6. Jordanonmyfeet macrumors newbie

don't use the agent 18 case they've been known to scratch the iPhone.

7. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

scratches it less than my buddy who has a rubber iskin....

8. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

I'm using Frost Clear Agent 18 for two weeks and my iPhone is still scratchless.

9. Jordanonmyfeet macrumors newbie

10. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i have the eco case...looks fine to me.

i just gave it a cleaning... zero problems.

still my original question remains - if i take it out of the case, will my fingers corrode the chrome? i know they wont bother the plastic, glass, or aluminum... but that damned chrome...

i was considering doing the brushed metal thing, but idk how well that would go on ebay...

11. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I'm using a clear Agent 18 case on my iPhone as well. I got the 16gb model and have had it since the day the 16gb came out. I took the case off the other day to check it and there wasn't a blemish. Then again I'm almost obsessive/compulsive with the phone. I carry it around in a microfiber towel. LOL

Oh well, I like stuff to stay nice.

12. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

Forgot to add, I was scared ****less when I was putting the case on the phone. It goes on really tight and I thought "This thing is going to scratch the hell out of it". The case is superb though and once it's on, is like a tank.

13. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

exactly what i said... i tore off the packaging once i was out of the apple store (i had bought the iphone at an at&t store earlier in the day since the apple store is so far away), stuck on the case and i was like "oh sh-.... this is almost too snug" but you're absolutely right it's like a tank and the phone still looks gorgeous.

would like to feel comfortable taking it out of the case though when im bummin' around my dorm or something, but still worried about corrosion... no one knows? really?

14. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

i had a chunky rubber case on my ipod video, then realised i liked it thinner and naked, so i just bought a sturdy plastic screen for the front and back. if i peel them off, it will be brand new - except for the edges.

1) new technology will be out when you resell, so you'll get less regardless
    2)if not unlocking is so easy now noone buys those expensive iphones of ebay
    3) why go through life taking LOTS and LOTS of care of it, almost not using it when you can enjoy it and use it all you want - without a worry.. casing it up is like having a showroom car but thats worth no REAL value.. eh maybe 200-300...)

if you care that much get a thin case.. just do your research!

personally ill be using mine case free, just a screen protector (when i get it)

15. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i realize that, and that isnt the only reason i keep it nice. i just like to take care of my tech and keep it looking just as shiny and new as the day i dropped $400 (or $2100) on it. i have no plans to sell my mbp (anytime soon, anyways) but i still keep it nice because c'mon... who wants a dented macbook pro/iphone?

:)

still... people... corrosion... fingers... pleeease? :p